We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Loews or Doubletree?

Which Santa Monica hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Telford, United...
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Topic
Loews or Doubletree?

Hi,

I'm staying in Santa Monica for 3 nights in October and have narrowed down my hotel search to Loews Resort and the Doubletree Hilton. Both are on the right side for walking SM and Venice but I can't decide which is better, so any suggestions would be welcome. There are various deals online at the moment but should I risk waiting for even better deals to arise nearer the time?

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,227 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Loews or Doubletree?

Without a doubt, it's no contest that the Loews is a much better hotel!!! I wouldn't even consider the Doubletree for one moment.

Loews is on the beach, one of the city's top hotels with all amenities (spa, etc) and supremely well-located with a great pool, great views, and great bar and restaurant. Doubletree is a basic budget chain designed for families who are in need of budget suites - and it sits on a freeway entrance and is across from the police location, not a good location.

Grab the Loews if it is priced similarly to the Doubletree and don't think twice!!

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
22,494 posts
5,249 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Loews or Doubletree?

Have not stayed at the Doubletree, but we have stayed at the Loews - good location, fine swimming pool area, good bar service; and very nice views of the ocean from hotel. Downsides on our trip were we were there in the middle of summer so beach traffic was gridlock mid afternoon (not a big deal morning or evening for getting away to other places); restaurant there was so-so, We ate at the Lobster (walking distance) as well as restaurants on 3rd street promenade. October should be delightful there with really nice ocean views from the hotel since it is past peak summer season.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,833 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Loews or Doubletree?

It isn't even a question that the Loews is much nicer. If the price is okay at the Loews, grab it.

4. Re: Loews or Doubletree?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 July 2015, 07:15