We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SF or Oakland

Which Santa Rosa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Van Nuys, CA
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
SF or Oakland

Arriving from Los Angeles, staying in Rohnert Park.

Would it be easier to fly into SF or Oakland and rent a car for the drive to Rohnert Park?

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,841 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SF or Oakland

What day of week and time of day? Outside of rush hour, Oakland would be easier. During rush hour, both may be terrible options. SFO and OAK are almost the exact same distance from Rohnert Park.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,603 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SF or Oakland

I really prefer SFO. You do not have to deal with the I880 traffic and etc.

It seems more straightforward to me to simply take Hwy 380 from slightly north of SFO to Hwy 280 and cross he city on it, and 19th Avenue, with timed traffic lights, through Golden Gate Park, and cross the Golden Gate Bridge. From there it is a straight shot up Hwy 101 to Rhonert Park....less than an hour, I think.

It is also a nicer drive, not through industrial areas.

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
6,323 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SF or Oakland

While I would agree that a drive over the Golden Gate Bridge (if you have never done it before) is the more scenic way to go, I think it would be faster and easier from Oakland. That is, of course, assuming that you aren't arriving at 4 pm, in which case you are in for a long haul no matter which way you go.

I live in Oakland and work at times in both SF and Santa Rosa. I once had to commute from my SF location to my Santa Rosa one for a few weeks, and actually discovered that it was almost 10 minutes faster on average driving from SF, over the Bay Bridge, then up 80 and back over the Richmond Bridge to 101 than it was to drive through the city, over the GG Bridge and up 101. It looks crazy on a map but the roads are so much wider, faster and clearer in the East Bay that it actually was faster.

But again, in commute traffic time, all bets are off.

Van Nuys, CA
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SF or Oakland

We are arriving mid afternoon on a Sunday, but we are leaving Rohert Park at 5 p.m. on a Tuesday. I was thinking to take the 8:30 p.m. flight out of Oakland just to be safe (with car return, traffic, etc.)

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,841 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SF or Oakland

The drive takes closer to 75 minutes than 60.

Oakland seems more straightforward to me than SFO--take 880/80 to 580 across the Richmond Bridge rather than trying to deal with city streets in SF. In fact, some sites like Google will give directions across the Bay Bridge and back across the Richmond Bridge rather than through SF. It is arguable whether this actually saves any time because traffic on the Bay Bridge is so unpredictable, but it's certainly interesting to note.

Oakland is a smaller airport, so it will be easier to get into and out of.

Your Sunday afternoon drive will be relatively painless from either airport. On Tuesday afternoon, you are going to get stuck in some rush hour traffic no matter what. Leaving Ronert Park at 5:00 to reach either airport should be fine for an 8:30 flight. You'll have 2.5 hours to get there and drop off your car, as you only need about 60 minutes to check in at the airport.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: SF or Oakland

It sounds like you already have your flights, but there is the option of flying into Santa Rosa (STS). It's probably a bit more expensive but a *lot* more convenient.

Van Nuys, CA
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: SF or Oakland

I have purchased tickets to Oakland, did not want to miss out on the $49 airfare each way.

I checked out STS, the flights are $$$$$ on Horizon Air and they all seem to have layovers.

Thanks everyone for your great help!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: SF or Oakland

It's $159 (includes tax) round trip (2 weeks in advance). That's only $60 more than going to OAK. Frankly, I think it's worth the extra not to have to drive to Oakland.

I don't know how they could lay-over between Santa Rosa and LAX ... it's 1hr 35min flight.

9. Re: SF or Oakland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2009, 17:26