We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safari West, wine country

Montreal
Level Contributor
28 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Safari West, wine country

My wife and I and our 4.5 year-old son are planning to visit California in September and would like to visit Safari West and the wine country for a couple of days.

- What is the best time to take the safari tour: 9 a.m., midday or 4 p.m.?

- Is overnight worth expense?

- What is recommended wine country itinerary for 1.5 days? We were thinking about Sonoma because it is less developed but is there time to fit in parts of Napa. If so, what areas are best?

- What wineries are suggested that would have things of interest to children?

Thanks

Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
Level Contributor
4,840 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safari West, wine country

Very sorry I didn't see your post any sooner! Hopefully, you did decide to include an overnite stay at Safari West. It is one of the most wonderfully unique places of lodging I have ever stayed. Nothing can compare to waking up in the morning and looking out the window to see giraffes ambling by! I would recommend the first safari in the morning. Mid-day a lot of the animals are resting and viewing opportunities aren't as good. Haven't taken the late afternoon tour, but I would guess the animals are apt to be up and browsing at that time. Be sure and do a search on the Forums for children's activities. Your youngster is a bit young to be captivated for any length of time by winery activities and sights. Winery tours and tasting are really adult-oriented items. However, the tram ride at Benziger Family Winery (www.benziger.com/visit_us/index.php) near Glen Ellen in the northern Sonoma Valley might be fun for your son. Since the towns of Sonoma and Napa are less than a 30 min. drive from each other, you could easily stay in one and visit "the other Valley" should you decide to stay overnite somewhere other than Safari West.

2. Re: Safari West, wine country

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 February 2010, 05:18