We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wine Tour Advice

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Wine Tour Advice

Hi All

Will be staying in Buellton for a couple of nights in September and thinking of doing a winery tour.

Just have a couple of questions; are we better arranging something direct with a few wineries or should we book through one of the tour companies, in which case, who would you recommend?

Have seen a few advertised such as Stagecoach, Captain Jacks etc and presume they are all similar.

Any advice is much appreciated!

Santa Ynez Valley
Level Contributor
104 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Wine Tour Advice

Hello Richard,

If you have the designated driver issue in hand, it is very easy to go it alone and visit any of the dozens of wineries in our area. You won't need any appointments, just show up and grab a glass at any of the wineries.

A local tour company would offer you the benefits of seeing other sights and not having to worry about driving along the way. I would recommend taking a Cloud Climbers Jeep Tour which will give you a scenic ride through our countryside and take you to several nice wineries along the way.

They will pick you up, bring you into the backcountry plus incredible ocean vistas, then a scenic drive back down into the Santa Ynez Valley, through a few wineries, and back to your hotel.

Check out their website http://www.ccjeeps.com/home.html

Their website even has a great video of exactly what the tour will look like.

If you want more info on the Santa Ynez Valley, just ask...I live here and love it!!

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Wine Tour Advice

Thanks YnezValley. You raise a good point about DUI so we are definitely going to do an organized tour.

I'll check out the ccjeeps tour you recommend. Really looking forward to seeing some of the scenery in the area (as well as the wineries!)

As we are only around for 2 nights, are you able to recommend a couple of decent places to eat in Buellton please. After a day touring we will probably want to grab a bite to eat locally (somewhere not too formal) and then maybe move on to a nearby bar for a couple of drinks.

I welcome any suggestions you have!

Richard

Santa Ynez Valley
Level Contributor
104 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Wine Tour Advice

Richard,

In Buellton, Firestone Walker Brew Pub is excellent for casual atmosphere and great food. The Hitching Post has great food too (it was in the movie "Sideways" so sometimes touristy crowded) and also AJ Spurs next door is good too.

You may also want to drive up the 101 to Los Olivos (10 minutes) and eat at Mattei's Tavern which is an old stagecoach stop and great food too. Get a reservation if you will be here on the weekend. Also, there are at least a dozen wine tasting rooms in Los Olivos and all of them within walking distance. Take a cab up there and spend the day wine tasting and ending with dinner at Mattei's.

Or drive 10 minutes to Solvang for even more choices and more wine tasting rooms. There is a new restaurant called Root 246 that just opened....very expensive but a nice treat and really good food and a very casual cool bar area. Paulas pancakes for breakfast. Lunch on the patio at the River Grill at the Alisal River Golf Course.

Hope that helps...I will PM you with my local links page for your reference...

4. Re: Wine Tour Advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 November 2009, 05:22
Get answers to your questions about Santa Ynez