We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santa Rita Hills picnic

Which Santa Ynez hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,298 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Santa Rita Hills picnic

Which of the wineries in the Santa Rita Hills area have nice picnic areas? My plan is to visit a few wineries, then have a light lunch and read a bit before getting back on the road. Any favorite winery advice would also be appreciated. Thanks.

7 replies to this topic
Lompoc, California
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Santa Rita Hills picnic

There are some lovely picnic spots along Hwy 246. Foley, Dierberg and Melville all have outside tables and great wines for tasting. Depending on what direction you will be starting from, stop by Industrial Eats in Buellton or Central Coast Specialty Foods in Lompoc, for some tasty picnic items.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,298 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Santa Rita Hills picnic

thank you--I'll be coming through Buellton and will definitely look up Industrial Eats. I've never been to that region so I'm looking forward to it.

St. Augustine...
Level Contributor
20 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Santa Rita Hills picnic

From Buellton where Hwy. 246 (Mission Road and the 101 meet ) look for directions to Santa Rosa Road, a very nice scenic drive with wineries off the beaten path.

Edited: 14 May 2014, 00:35
Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,298 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Santa Rita Hills picnic

I don't know how many wineries I can fit in but I'll have plenty of time in the morning for exploring and hopefully some photography. Nice to know that Santa Rosa Road is scenic. I have a snappy little convertible so I hope it has a few curves! :-)

St. Augustine...
Level Contributor
20 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Santa Rita Hills picnic

Scenic it is, you will see cyclists touring through there often….- There is a winery on Santa Rosa Road maybe someone can fill in, that was featured in the movie Sideways. It may have changed names since then, but it was a wonderful small and very good wine tasting stop.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,298 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Santa Rita Hills picnic

A few years ago I was tasting in Los Olivos at the Consilience tasting room and they had a sign "proudly" declaring that they were NOT featured in the movie "Sideways." :-)

St. Augustine...
Level Contributor
20 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Santa Rita Hills picnic

Thanks….. the movie did not make me visit…..loved this region before the film came out, That particular winery off Santa Rosa Road was a little gem, could not see it from the road and is a very old ranch style vibe with some interesting folks who shard tales of the valley. If I remember the name will post.

Reply to: Santa Rita Hills picnic
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Santa Ynez