We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blue and gold ferry times

Which Sausalito hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
215 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Blue and gold ferry times

Can anyone explain the reason for time difference in out bound ferry from SF to Sausalito and the time it takes to come back? Out bound running time is APOX> 40 mins. to 50 mins., at different times of day. Inbound from Sausalito is APOX> 15 to 20 mins. Tides traffic ?

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
6,323 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Blue and gold ferry times

Not sure- but there are 2 stops in SF: the Ferry Bldg. and the wharf. Without looking at the schedule, my guess is that if you pick it up at the Ferry Building, you then have to wait while it stops and loads at the Wharf. Then when you return it goes straight the to the ferry bldg. Am I right?

Level Contributor
215 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Blue and gold ferry times

macjack, thanks. I think you are on the right track. pier 41 may be the starting point, making it longer after pick at ferry buld. I will check web site again for B&G. I took times from pier 41. It stands to reason that it would make both stops on the SF side, one ferry to do two pick ups. Thanks again. What a great site !!!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
85 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Blue and gold ferry times

The sf ferry to sausalito stops at tiberon first then goes across to sausalito. The way back, sausalito dircetly to sf. last one leaves on weekends at 4:30pm

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Blue and gold ferry times

My experience was the same as Brent explains. We left the pier and arrived in Tiburon to pick up and drop off and then went to Sausalito. On the way back we went straight to the Pier. We did not go to the Ferry Building.

Level Contributor
215 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Blue and gold ferry times

Thanks Brent and suzie. You were a great help. All ways good to solve a mystery. Not a life altering event, but I had to know.

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
6,323 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Blue and gold ferry times

My bad... I was thinking of my experience on the East Bay Ferry. But I had a feeling it must have had to do with some kind of additional stop inone direction but not the other.

Level Contributor
215 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Blue and gold ferry times

Thank you all. I look foward to my visit to SF in may. Did it last may and cant wait to get back.

Sausalito...
Level Contributor
21 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Blue and gold ferry times

Have you tried riding the Golden Gate Ferry? I'm a local from Sausalito and rarely ride the Blue/Gold or Red/White Ferries. We almost always ride the Golden Gate ferry - goes exclusively between Sausalito and the Ferry Building in SF.It operates every day (commuters love it!)except Christmas, Thanksgiving and New Year's Day. You can check the schedule at Goldengateferry.org

If you enjoy mingling with the locals and not other tourists, give the GG ferry a try.

Leslie

Overland Park Kansas
Level Contributor
417 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Blue and gold ferry times

Is Sausalito due north from SF?

10. Re: Blue and gold ferry times

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2009, 22:19