We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Silly question - how do you pronounce Sausalito?!

London, UK
Level Contributor
46 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Silly question - how do you pronounce Sausalito?!

Is it So-sa-lito, or sou-sa-lito? This might be completely lost in translation anyway, due to my english accent, but thought I'd ask!

Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
Level Contributor
4,833 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Silly question - how do you pronounce Sausalito?!

It's commonly pronounced "saw-suh-lee-tow". I read that the name is derived from (but not accurately representing) a Spanish word meaning "willow grove".

Edited: 09 August 2010, 16:09
Long Beach...
Destination Expert
for Long Beach
Level Contributor
1,681 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Silly question - how do you pronounce Sausalito?!

Many of our city and street names in California are in Spanish--but they have been "anglicized" a street by the locals. So--this makes is challenging for our visitors. A street in our town, Junipero, is only pronounced correctly by new inhabitants that speak spanish--my husband (a native spanish speaker) who has lived here since the early 60's has learned to pronounce it the Long Beach way--Yuan-a-pero.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
60,817 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Silly question - how do you pronounce Sausalito?!

I don't think this is a silly question at all. It shows respect and interest.

I found this pronunciation with Google "Sausalito: sau-sal-ē'-to: little place of willows" but I think I say it more like saw'-suh-lē''-toe , more like Forestvillian's way. I'm looking forward to learning how locals pronounce it.

my two cents ~ I wish more people either asked how to pronounce the name of a town or listened to locals and tried to copy them. Just because I always thought Louisville KY was pronounce "lou' ē ville" doesn't mean that's correct. And when we visited Valdez AK years before the spill, we were surprised to learn how locals pronounced the name of their town: val dēz' instead of val dehz'.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,485 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Silly question - how do you pronounce Sausalito?!

Don't let the current governor of California throw you off with his horrible pronunciation of most words including "California." As in the post above, the pronunciation of Sausalito is "saw-suh-lee-tow" with a slight emphasis on the "lee" syllable. If you want to hear it sung, listen to "Sausalito Summernight" by Diesel. Ironically a Dutch group, but they pronounce it right. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppYhgqrZIqU

A few other commonly mispronounced places in California:

Los Angeles: the g is soft as in "giant," not hard as in "grand." The emphasis is on the "An." The Es are more like schwas. It is not pronounced as if it were "Los Angelees." The correct pronunciation is like "loss AN-gel-uss" or just "LA" run together as if it was "elay."

La Jolla: Pronounced as if it was "Luh Hoya." Often mispronounced as it is spelled, La "Jolla" like "jolly." The J is pronounced as an H and the ll is pronounced like a y.

Ahwahnee: pronounced as if it was "uh-WAH-nee" with the emphasis on the "wah."

Tuolumne: pronounced as if it was "too-WALL-um-ee" with the emphasis on the "wall."

Sequoia: pronounced as if it was "seh-KWOY-uh"

Visalia: pronounced "vye-SAIL-ee-uh"

Mojave: pronounced "mo-HAWV-ee" no J sound

San Juan Capistrano: pronounced "san wahn cap-is-TRAHN-oh"

Point Lobos: as if it was "point LOW-bowss" with a soft "s"

Laguna: pronounced "luh-GOO-nuh"

Catalina: pronounced "cat-a-LEE-nuh"

San Bernardino: pronounced "san ber-nar-DEEN-oh"

As for abbreviations and nicknames, "LA" is fine but San Franciscans detest "Frisco" and I think nobody likes it when people say "San Berdoo" instead of San Bernardino. Nobody within California calls it "Cali."

Edited: 09 August 2010, 18:18
Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Silly question - how do you pronounce Sausalito?!

Great replies, you last two posters! :)

If I am anaware of how to pronounce a place, I always ask first thing, esp if I know I am going there and then I call a local hotel etc. and ask.

6. Re: Silly question - how do you pronounce Sausalito?!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2011, 08:58