We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour Muir Woods/Sausalito/SF/Alcatraz Week of 9/13-20/13

Which Sausalito hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lino Lakes...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Topic
Tour Muir Woods/Sausalito/SF/Alcatraz Week of 9/13-20/13

4 Seniors plan to drive from Napa on a weekday to spend few hours from maybe 10-2 in Muir Woods and 2:30 to evening walking and having dinner in Sausalito. Does this sound doable? Parking suggestions??

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tour Muir Woods/Sausalito/SF/Alcatraz Week of 9/13-20/13

You may find parking difficult at Muir Woods at 10AM, even on a weekday. The lots are small and people park on the side of the road for a couple of miles on either side of the entrance. I realize that September is post Labor Day but right now the freeway signs on Highway 101 are on by 11AM that Muir Woods parking is full.

Muir Woods does not require 4 hours unless you plan on doing extensive hiking out of the Woods. Which is possible as various trails are accessible from the Woods. But to just wander through Muir Woods itself is easily done in an hour. Or perhaps a bit more.

Additionally, Sausalito is a small (rather touristy) town. I can't imagine spending more than 90 minutes strolling the shops.

The title of your thread suggests you want to into SF and go to Alcatraz as well. Is that part of the plan? There are plenty of day tour tickets available for Alcatraz (night tour is sold out) for September but I wouldn't leave it for long -- it's pretty well completely sold out through August 23.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
292 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tour Muir Woods/Sausalito/SF/Alcatraz Week of 9/13-20/13

I had a similar interest. i want to go to SF bay, ferry to Sausalito, muir woods. Suggestions?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tour Muir Woods/Sausalito/SF/Alcatraz Week of 9/13-20/13

LatinaBeauty:

Start your own thread in the SF forum. The Marin County forums don't get much traffic. Tell us when you will be visiting, what day of the week you want to go to Muir and anything else about your travel party. (I don't know what you mean by "SF bay")

Muir via public transit is only available summer weekends.

4. Re: Tour Muir Woods/Sausalito/SF/Alcatraz Week of 9/13-20/13

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2014, 05:16