We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay / what to do in LA if visiting Reagan Library

Australia
12 posts
Save Topic
Where to stay / what to do in LA if visiting Reagan Library

I have two nights in LA before going to Disneyland for several days (where I"m joined by exnteded family) and would like to use the time to visit the Reagan Library. I have briefly visited LA before and wanted to make the visit to the Library the main focus of my 2 free days along with some shopping :-))

I'm planning on making the library it a day trip from LA to see it properly (ie not going to rush thru, dedicate the whole day and let it take as long as it takes). Any advice on other things to see or a good combination of something else to do in the afternoon?

Also, any advice on a good base for two nights before Anaheim? I didn't particularly want to stay in Simi Valley for the two nights so is there another logical / easy to get to part of LA that makes the library day trip straightforward?

Finally, most directions are driving directions, is it straightforward to get there on other forms of transport? This might impact on best place to stay.

Australia
12 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay / what to do in LA if visiting Reagan Library

I've been reading some of the other related fourms and am now wondering if my decision not to stay local to the Library for 2 nights is actually a little shortsighted. Would love some perspectives? I"ve got 2 1/2 free days in California sandwhiched between a busy week on either side. Thoughts?

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,722 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay / what to do in LA if visiting Reagan Library

There is a nice Best Western just a couple of miles up the road from the Reagan library that has several good eateries nearby - http://www.posadaroyale.com/

You could easily spend the day at the Library. In the past couple of years, in addition to the museum displays (which are very well done) they have added a nice restaurant and they now have a massive hall that includes Reagan's Air Force One which you can walk through. Way worth the visit.

From that Simi location your are pleasant 30 minute drive to Malibu and several of the nice Ventura County Beaches, or a 50 to 60 minute drive to Santa Barbara which is a great day trip.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay / what to do in LA if visiting Reagan Library

There's nothing wrong with the Reagan Library; in fact, it's quite nice. But it's not worth a visit unless you have an overwhelming interest in the man.

The Nixon Library is far superior for the history of the time. It's not exclusively about Nixon.

You should know that I've been a Nixon hater since 1946.

Santa Clarita...
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay / what to do in LA if visiting Reagan Library

The Reagan Library is very enjoyable, and best if you have a docent (or get connected with a group) to take you from one exhibit to the next. I was there in October, and missed see Nancy Reagan's beautiful dresses that are on exhibit.

There are several hotels (already suggested) many restaurants, and a mall. The area is very safe. As for public transportation from Union Station in downtown LA,or Burbank Airport you can take either the Amtrak or Metrolink to Simi (Metrolink is M-F). From there, there is a bus which requires a transfer to the Presidential Library. As suggested you may want to continue on by car or train to Santa Barbara (Amtrak)for your second day. The hotel should be helpful with some answers to your questions.

Metrolink 800-371-5465

www.metrolinktrains.com (Ventura line)

Amtrak.com 800-782-7245

www.amtrak.com

MTA - Los Angeles Bus schedules

www.mta.net

Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
3,358 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay / what to do in LA if visiting Reagan Library

I guess the question is - what else do you want to do/see while you are here. You mentioned shopping - the Camarillo Outlets are not far from Simi Valley and there is a very nice new mall in Simi Valley as well. There isn't much else there though. Do you want to sightsee the other days? Shop? Go to other museums? Local History?

6. Re: Where to stay / what to do in LA if visiting Reagan Library

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2009, 07:16