We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Affordable oceanfront Jan. wo a car

Ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
1,575 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Affordable oceanfront Jan. wo a car

Will have a week or two to spend in area after attending conference. Likely late Jan. or early Feb. which is offseason in area. Looking for affordable ie $800 a week range, with oceanfront view, and within walking distance of stores, restaurants, etc.

I have also been posting on Del Mar site as liked the feel of town when I spent a couple of hours there 2 years ago and looking at BW Stratford Inn. However many keep suggesting Solana Beach as good option and wo a car it is near rail connection. Someone suggested Stubbs realtor. However rates seem quite high and understand November might find some better rates.

Looking for quiet, clean, secure and no frills fine. Haven't seen Solana Beach so don't have a sense of the town. Welcome suggestions here or other town along here on ocean.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Affordable oceanfront Jan. wo a car

There aren't many hotels/motels in Solana Beach (my mother lives there). There are condos to rent but, to be honest, even in January it isn't likely you'll find one for just a bit over $100/night, especially oceanfront.

The town is not large but the Design Center area has some cute shops and a few good restaurants (Wild Note Cafe especially). Having the train station in town is a plus.

There is talk of building a hotel near the station but lots of "NIMBYs" are worried about the traffic impacts and don't want it built.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,675 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Affordable oceanfront Jan. wo a car

I think Del Mar has more of a real "town" feel because of its downtown area. Unfortunately they took the train station away so it probably would be less convenient for you.

I don't think there's a perfect solution if you want beachFRONT.

Ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
1,575 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Affordable oceanfront Jan. wo a car

Thanks. I think I will fly into SD for a couple of days before the conference and take a day trip to area to see firsthand in Del Mar and Solana Beach as the week falls I want to stay after the conference in Berkeley and Southwest airlines has good and frequent service. I enjoyed my stay at Pensione Hotel in SD and very affordable to glad to stay there again.

The Del Mar Motel is a beachfront location right in town and liked the look from outside when there a couple of years ago but inside gets mixed reviews here and will take time to visit BW and Clarion in Del Mar and HI Express in Solana Beach and someone suggested going into Stubbs realtor office as maybe prices for condo rentals more negotiable in offseason with a higher vacancy rate.

4. Re: Affordable oceanfront Jan. wo a car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2010, 06:21
Get answers to your questions about Solana Beach