We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Patrick's SideStreet Cafe - Los Olivos

A R
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
248 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Patrick's SideStreet Cafe - Los Olivos

I recently ate at Patrick's Sidestreet Cafe, walking around Los Olivos, visiting the galleries, and a quick rest stop before continuing north to Monterrey, Ca. We saw it and just decided to stop there for lunch, diidn't know what to expect but we were getting hungry. Wow!! What a suprise!! Excellent lunch, I had their version of a Prime Rib Sandwich, one of the best prime ribs I have ever tasted, it also came with a cup of soup of the day, very good soup. My husband had the Patrick's Paella, excellent, and very flavorfull dish, my daughter had another sandwich which came with a great salad, the bleu cheese vinagrete was excellent.

Overall a great experience, I can't wait to go back and try it for dinner.

Los Olivos is just ahead of Solvang.

Los Angeles, CA
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Patrick's SideStreet Cafe - Los Olivos

STRONGLY DISAGRESS-- dont know if the above post was written by the owner or what, but have been to Patrick's twice now and have had MISERABLE experiences both times. Patrick, the owner, is a HORRIBLE, RUDE host and I while I eat out nearly every single night, I must admit I have never in my life had such an UNPLEASANT experience. Several other people I have spoken to who have eater there have had equal horrible experience. It is a horrible, overpriced dive whose food leaves MUCH to be desired. Try something a little more upscale like...say Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles. DO NOT EAT AT PATRICKS'S!!!!

Santa Ynez, CA
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Patrick's SideStreet Cafe - Los Olivos

I must agree with the dissenting opinion below, i.e., that Patrick is (or at least, was) completely "over the top" in terms of unwanted intrusions in his patrons' dining experiences. To be fair, though, a) he may have gotten the message and lightened up on this, and b) the food really isn't bad.

NY, NY
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Patrick's SideStreet Cafe - Los Olivos

I too must agree. Patrick was rather rude to me and my party. We were forced to eat outside even though it was freezing and there were many open table inside. Our food took 2 hours to prepare because they forgot about us. Finally, we were moved in doors, but treated just as horribly. After a wonderful day in wine country, this ruined the whole trip!

los angeles
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Patrick's SideStreet Cafe - Los Olivos

i must agree that the food leaves much to be desired, and is utterly overpriced. you see... Patrick's a drunk, who throughout the course of an evening will coast from table to table with a half empty glass of wine in one hand, and a nearly empty bottle in the other. I suppose the sous chef in his kitchen thinks Pat's an a$$, and intentionally over cooks his $30 cuts of meat, mocking a man who never makes his way anywhere near the kitchen, except only to wrangle another bottle of the purple stuff. don't get me wrong, i love a drunk... but not at my table... all night... bragging about his french culinary arts education, only to have a dish of thirty dollar lamb chops arrive as dead as door nails, and equally as tough. i let him know the food was not to my liking, and after he agreed that the lamb was no where near medium rare, he was never to return to the table... tail tucked between his legs as they say. whell, at least we got him to shut up. i kno there are only three restaurants of which to dine in the area, and maybe that's why the wrinkle room residents of los olivos put up with his nonsense, but if his restaurant were situated in los angeles amongst the brightest in the bis... well you know the rest.

California
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Patrick's SideStreet Cafe - Los Olivos

We went to Patrick's for a drink over Veteran's Day weekend. We had heard so much about him, we just had to see for ourselves. He was a very interesting guy who is, frankly, truly an original. We were treated wonderfully by his staff, even though we just sat at the counter and had only a beer and a glass of wine. Patrick was cool, as was his assistant, Jay, who was very friendly and knowledgeable. By the way, the food looked fantastic and the portions were way generous. Next time we're in town, we are having dinner there! It was highly recommended by many people, but we were in a sushi mood that night. See you next time, Patrick!

Los Angeles
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Patrick's SideStreet Cafe - Los Olivos

I ate at Patrick's 2 days ago. The food was excellent and the wine had extremely low markups - around $10! He also doesn't charge corkage. I had an excellent skirt steak and the panko breaded, butterflied shrimp was also excellent.

You should probably know what you're in for at Patrick's. We had his restaurant recommended to us by several different locals. They also add the Patrick is a character! He certainly loves to be the lord of his manor and according to the locals I spoke to, your experience can vary according to his mood. He was in a good mood and was an excellent host when we were there, but I've heard he can be cranky and rude. I've also heard that he is intolerant of rude LA folk who expect VIP treatment and waltz in his restaurant with attitude. I'm fine with that!

Patrick may not be a smooth host who is sweet and light to even the nastiest customer, but he's an interesting guy and entertaining. Most importantly his food is very good. I like coming across characters like him and if he's in a cranky mood and rude to me, I'll give it right back. I didn't have to on my visit though and I'm not sure how often he is cranky. I'd have to do some serious research!

Final Postscript - Patrick did comment to some diners about his food having great ingredients and coming straight from his heart. He also said the true test is how it makes you feel 3 hours later. A little too melodramatic for me....The next day though I ate at Los Olivos Cafe (It was in Sideways - whoo hoo! yawn...) and did NOT feel good afterwards, whereas his food sat well with me. Hmmm...

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,655 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Patrick's SideStreet Cafe - Los Olivos

OK, if I am ever in Los Olivos I will be sure to eat at Patrick's Sidestreet Cafe, just to experience him and it

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
4,757 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Patrick's SideStreet Cafe - Los Olivos

I've eaten twice at Patricks and never experienced any of the things mentioned above. I have a feeling they are fake posts due to the low post counts.

I would have no problem going back again.

Santa Ynez...
Level Contributor
191 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Patrick's SideStreet Cafe - Los Olivos

Local here. They are not fake posts. Patrick is a character and sometimes he is on...sometimes he is not.

If you don't care and can just go with the flow then there isn't an issue.

If you want a private dinner and want the personnel to be invisible I would not choose this restaurant.

10. Re: Patrick's SideStreet Cafe - Los Olivos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2009, 05:20