We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help - Napa Valley day trip with 7 kids!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Which Sonoma hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
Level Contributor
186 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Help - Napa Valley day trip with 7 kids!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We are doing a West Coast trip with 6 adults and 7 children aged between 15 to 5 in April. We are planing to drive out of San Fran in the morning spend 2 hours in Muir Wood ands then spend the rest of the day in the Napa Valley.

What I would like to ask is a suggested itinerary for the afternoon with a pick of a few family friendly wineries (we would like some picturesque ones). In particular we would love a recommendation for a beautiful location for a family lunch. We are not really after kid's activities soley but rather and adult intinerary which is conducive to kids.

Any other tips or advice would be welcomed.

I know its crazy bringing the kids but we are from Australia and will be on a 3 week west coast trip.

Thanks again for your help

Level Contributor
34,236 posts
884 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help - Napa Valley day trip with 7 kids!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

V. Sattui in Napa Valley has some nice picnic grounds with several tables. There is also the Jelly Belly jelly bean factory in Fairfield that is close by that may be fun to tour with them.

Good luck and have fun! :)

New Jersey
Level Contributor
3 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help - Napa Valley day trip with 7 kids!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Between San Francisco and Muir Woods, stop in Sausalito, and have lunch on the dock, outside, at Fish, a wonderful and information fish restaurant. Head up to Muir Woods, but leave a little room--you may need an extra hour. Wonderful place.

In Napa with kids, stop at Copia, the Museum of Food And Wine. There is an edible garden, some terrific interactive stuff, and my kids liked it very much.

For lunch in Napa, to to Rutherford, and eat with them at the Rutherford Grill or head up to Taylor's Refresher in St. Helena.

The coolest wineries to visit for kids are Hess Estate, Artesa, and V. Sattui. Mumm has a wonderful photo exhibit and nice grounds. The Tram over to Sterling Vineyards in Calistoga is also fun for the kids. Calistoga is a nice town to walk around it, by the way, with ice cream shops, good restaurants and nice stores.

My kids liked Napa, but loved Sonoma. Head over the hill, and take them to Santa Rosa to the Charles Schulz Museum (Charlie Brown!) and the Luther Burbank Gardens, as well as Jack London State Park (see the ruins of his mansion) and take the tour of Benziger Winery, which includes a sort of hayride through the biodynamic vineyards.

Have fun.

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,684 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help - Napa Valley day trip with 7 kids!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You could see the geyser in Calistoga and the Petrified Forest in...well between Calistoga and Sonoma.

Fairfax, California
Level Contributor
8 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help - Napa Valley day trip with 7 kids!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

V. Sattui in Napa is beautiful and feels like an Italian villa..with lots of room for the kids and adults to picnic and play.

Note that Muir Woods is a trip in itself...It's beautiful but it is a half day trip in itself, in my opinion. Enjoy the ride.

Traveling North from Muir Woods...The Sonoma Valley is actually closer than the Napa Valley. The closest winery is Viansa. BEAUTIFUL place, overlooking the vineyards with the feel of Italy...they have wine tastings and food tastings which are fun for all ages. It's a help yourself style, with at least 50 different little jars of toppings and tiny crackers to put on them..everything from jams, chutneys, BBQ sauces, mustards, aoli, chocolate sauces.... I've been meaning to take my 12 year old there because I think he'd enjoy it.

just up the road from Viansa is CLINE which has large grounds with HUGE grassy areas for kids to run..they also had many types of birds in very large cages and aviaries. Another good kid/adult stop.

Nearby is Gloria Ferrer Champagne..with a beautiful view of the valley.

Plan a stop at Cornerstone Festival of Gardens..(They have a deli for food) but they also have an outdoor museum of art installations and unusual things that are hands on fun. Things like a "Screen door maze" (There is an admission fee.)

All of this is located at the Southern end of the Sonoma Valley.

I think Larson Family Winery has a bocce ball court.

Buena Vista Winery has that old time country feel...also welcoming to kids with picnic tables and trees....Have fun!!

Sydney
Level Contributor
186 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help - Napa Valley day trip with 7 kids!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for all your hep

McKinney, Texas
Level Contributor
102 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help - Napa Valley day trip with 7 kids!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's a very long day.

Level Contributor
34,236 posts
884 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help - Napa Valley day trip with 7 kids!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We really enjoyed the tasting at Barthalamew Park this past Fri., it is in the same area as Buena Vista previously mentioned. Very nice area here to picnic, lots of room at the winery.

Another place we really enjoyed that has picnic tables is Nicholson Ranch, we did the $20 reserve tasting in the private tasting room, there is a back porch area here where we relaxed with our tastings. I found my favorite Pinot Noir of the trip here which we purchased. :)

8. Re: Help - Napa Valley day trip with 7 kids!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 21:20