We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dog friendly city?

Which Sonoma hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NH
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
dog friendly city?

I am visiting Sonoma the end of March for the first time. I would love to bring my dog along. Is it a dog friendly area? Do the stores and or outside resturants allow dogs?

The hotel we are staying at allows dogs, so we are good to go as far as that, but one of the wineries we are going to visit says no dogs allowed.

Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
Level Contributor
4,819 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: dog friendly city?

Others may disagree, but I don't view Sonoma County in general as being very "dog friendly". We certainly have our share of dog parks, but also have strict leash laws in place for most public areas. Much of the regulation is due to our agricultural heritage. Loose dogs can chase and harm livestock and so even well-trained dogs have to abide by leash requirements in nearly all areas. Check with individual restaurants that have outdoor areas, as well as each of the wineries you wish to visit. If you're staying at a local "pet friendly" hotel, they will surely be able to guide you to specific places that will welcome both you and your dog.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: dog friendly city?

We have traveled all over the state with our golden retreiver but did not take him when we visited Sonoma. While most wineries do not allow dogs, we found dog friendly wineries all over the state, generally when they pour outside. Check out this website for information on Sonoma www.bestinsonoma.com/dog_friendly_sonoma.html then do a google or yahoo searches: <dog friendly Sonoma> and <dog friendly wineries> etc.

Level Contributor
34,474 posts
888 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: dog friendly city?

I didn't realize that dogs weren't allowed at the Plaza, when we visit Sonoma we really don't see too many dogs there, I would not consider Sonoma pet-friendly, Carmel is well-known for being a very pet-friendly place.

I hope you enjoy your time in Sonoma, it's a great place to spend time in! :)

BeWellEatWell
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: dog friendly city?

There are a handful of wineries that allow dogs, The Sonoma Valley Visitors Bureau has a visitors guide with that information. Benziger, Gundlach Bundschu, Imagery, Landmark, Larson Family, Ledson, Mayo, Ty Caton & Muscardini Tasting Room, Sebastiani and St Francis are the wineries listed. I believe that it is typically that they have outdoor spaces where they can accommodate tastings.

The health code in Sonoma County disallows dogs in most tasting rooms and restaurants. If a restaurant has outdoor seating where the dog does not come in contact with the interior of the eating space and food is not served to your table (you order inside then bring your own out), then your pup can sit outside with you. The Basque Boulangerie Cafe would work.

The Sonoma plaza does not allow dogs, but there is a small dog park just north of the Plaza on First Street West near the police station. There are 2 additional dog parks - one on Arnold Drive and one in Glen Ellen in the Sonoma Valley Regional Park.

There are a number of walking paths, but leash laws are in affect. There is also a 'doggie day care' facility on Broadway called Sonoma Dog Camp that may be able to doggie sit.

South Carolina
Level Contributor
1,184 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: dog friendly city?

Only the second post. I suspect a troll!

Who in their right mind would transport a dog from the east coast to California, unless for a permanent relocation, or if it is a seeing eye dog?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: dog friendly city?

We took our dog round trip across country and I know at least one other person who did so. Of course when you do this it greatly effects how you travel from pet friendly lodging to outdoor restaurants to separate visiting of sites. National Parks are notoriously not pet friendly.

Windsor, California
Level Contributor
185 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: dog friendly city?

I live in Sonoma county with my "big dog". He goes lots of places with me. Most restaurants that serve outside will allow you to bring your dog with you.

Healdsdburg is a very dog-friendly town. Lots of pet accessories shops and the downtown is dog-friendly.

Since my dog doesn't drink wine, I am not sure about the wineries, but I think the smaller family run ones further out in the county will be more friendly.

Be sure to bring your plastic bags to pick up after your dog, that is manditory.

Level Contributor
34,474 posts
888 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: dog friendly city?

We did notice that Healdsburg is very pet-friendly when we were there for the weekend. :)

9. Re: dog friendly city?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2009, 18:17