We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buffalo to SanFran, Oakland, SanFran??

Toronto
Level Contributor
935 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Buffalo to SanFran, Oakland, SanFran??

Staying in Sonoma for a week....August 2010...where would you flight into...Southwest does not seem to have direct flights to Oakland...

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,660 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buffalo to SanFran, Oakland, SanFran??

Southwest has a tendency not to have direct flights.

We recently did a trip to the Southwest on, yes, Southwest airlines.

Our trip from San Jose to Albuquerque went through......ready?.....Seattle.

Actually it wasn't a problem, very little down time, efficiently handled.

All of that said, if you want a direct flight do they have those into SFO? If so you are in fine shape.

If you tell us whether you mean Sonoma the town, Sonoma the Valley, or Sonoma the county we can give you easy directions.

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
9,867 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buffalo to SanFran, Oakland, SanFran??

There isn't that much of a difference between SFO and OAK when it comes to getting to Sonoma. If you land at Oakland, you don't have to drive through SF city streets, but you also don't get to go over the Golden Gate Bridge.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,477 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buffalo to SanFran, Oakland, SanFran??

You should consider flying into to Sacramento. We did this the last time we visited and thought it was a great idea.

The distance to Sonoma is about the same as from either Oakland or San Francisco and it is a much easier airport (because it is a little smaller). The drive does not require going over any bridges and is very easy. Just something to consider.

dctravel

Toronto
Level Contributor
935 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buffalo to SanFran, Oakland, SanFran??

to Sacramento using which airline?

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,660 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buffalo to SanFran, Oakland, SanFran??

Sacramento is a good idea if there is not a lot of traffic on I80. It is also usually more expensive. If it were I, I would choose the airport with the least expense, ticket-wise, and take traffic into consideration.

Simba. It is not more trouble to take 380 to 280 and drive through 19th Avenue in San Francisco than it is to take I80 from Oakland airport. Because of the traffic on I80. For what that is worth. The drive to Sonoma would also be much more pleasant, avoiding all of the industrial stuff of the East Bay.

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
9,867 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buffalo to SanFran, Oakland, SanFran??

You really love 19th Avenue, don't you Puter ;-)

Actually, Puter makes a good point. If it's rush hour, especially afternoon rush hour, I-80 north from the Oakland airport is a nightmare...although 101 through Marin is no picnic, either.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
6,006 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buffalo to SanFran, Oakland, SanFran??

Southwest does not have direct flights from anywhere east of Chicago to San Francisco, Oakland, or Sacramento. However, all three airports have direct flights to Chicago, and of course there are direct flights from Buffalo to Chicago. Other assorted combinations are available, too, including a one-stop trip via Las Vegas.

8. Re: Buffalo to SanFran, Oakland, SanFran??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2010, 05:16