We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

just back trip report 6/17-6/22 Windsor/Glen Ellen wineries

Which Sonoma hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ohio
Level Contributor
1,393 posts
140 reviews
Save Topic
just back trip report 6/17-6/22 Windsor/Glen Ellen wineries

Thanks all for your help.

We were in California for a wedding. We extended to enjoy wine country.

Stayed in WIndsor at the Holiday Inn Express 6/17-6/19good location, nice clean hotel, usual breakfast.

We went to the Armstrong Woods, very nice outing, and enjoyed the Korbel deli for some delicious picnic food.

The wedding at the Homestead Gardens was everything you think a wine country wedding should be, stunning setting for the terrific couple.

Golf courses my husband played Windsor Golf Club, the amazingly beautiful very windy Bodega Bay, and Northwoods. Send me a PM if you want details.

Left Windsor and headed to Glen Ellen to complete our stay. Had a great time at the Glen Ellen Inn, highly recommend this lovely place.

On the way to Glen Ellen we enjoyed complimentary tasting (coupon package from the Holiday Inn) at Kendal-Jackson, the gardens are beautiful.

Stopped in to see the Ledson but didn't taste there. The building is worth the stop.

On to St Francis, beautiful gardens, nice of them to offer sparkling cider for the designated driver. Hubby loved the Malbec so we got a bottle and were not charged for the tasting.

Checked into the Glen Ellen and had dinner there that night, the Malbec was enjoyed for a $13 corkage fee.

Next day headed to Benzinger to enoy the tour and tasting. It was nice to have an understanding of the process. The tour was $15 and included the tasting, very enjoyable, you can picnic there as well. They gave us coupons for Imagery, as they are sister wineries.

We met up with our friends and enjoyed Cafe Citti for a very nice lunch before heading to Gloria Ferrer. What a great way to end the day on their patio enjoying the Blanc du Blanc. The four of us shared the bottle and enjoyed the cork being popped over the garden. Thanks to TA and what I read about GF I looked like a vacation planning genius!

Stopped in to see the Mission and walked around the town of Sonoma and ended up going back to La Casa for a nice lunch on the way back toward SF.

That evening we all enjoyed dinner at The Fig Cafe, great food no corkage fee.

The next day we went to Imagery, Kunde (coupon from booklet) and back to St. Francis for a case, including that Malbec. Ohio doesn't permit the shipping by wineries so Karen, at St Francis, was very helpful setting us up to ship from UPS.

We had a spectacular time and even stopped in to SF for chowder at Scomas and a chilly walk around before our flight home.

I have written full reviews for the places I mentioned.

united states
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: just back trip report 6/17-6/22 Windsor/Glen Ellen wineries

Thank you for such a comprehensive trip report!! St. Francis is one of our favorite wineries- i hope that you included some of the Rockpile Zin in that case!

ohio
Level Contributor
1,393 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: just back trip report 6/17-6/22 Windsor/Glen Ellen wineries

My husband remebers the Rockpile as having a mineral taste, so we passed on it. I drink whatever someone pours:)

Level Contributor
34,509 posts
890 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: just back trip report 6/17-6/22 Windsor/Glen Ellen wineries

It sounds like you had a great time! We always enjoy our time in the Sonoma wine region. Thank you for sharing your travels with us! :)

united states
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: just back trip report 6/17-6/22 Windsor/Glen Ellen wineries

Hmmmm.... I don't recall that mineral taste in the Rockpile that we bought, but everyones' taste is different. Anyway, enjoy whatever you bought and hope you can get back to the area soon!

Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
Level Contributor
4,819 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: just back trip report 6/17-6/22 Windsor/Glen Ellen wineries

...and I LOVE that minerality! For those who do, Mauritson's Westphall Ridge Zin is superb--their new release is the best ever. If I could afford to, I would drink it every day. I like your practical approach to wine drinking, Plan09 ("drink what is poured")! You visited some of my favorite spots during your travels--come back soon!

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,185 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: just back trip report 6/17-6/22 Windsor/Glen Ellen wineries

Thanks plan09 for your thorough but concise report of just the sort of information other travelers want to know.

I often skip over "trip reports" as people have a tendancy to cut and paste their detailed travel diaries including paragraphs of personal details we never need to know ("Got up at 8:00 a.m. and showered and went down to breakfast. Chose the eggs, went back to the room and brushed my teeth . . . ") Spare us.

7. Re: just back trip report 6/17-6/22 Windsor/Glen Ellen wineries

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 December 2010, 06:17