We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sonoma trip planning - two nights next wknd - NEED HELP

Which Sonoma hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta
2 posts
Save Topic
Sonoma trip planning - two nights next wknd - NEED HELP

We are arriving on Saturday July 24th in the morning and will stay at the INN AT SONOMAS for two nights. We have two days and two nights, and I am overwhelmed with options on where to go on Saturday and Sunday...... which route and places should we visit each day? Scenary and GREAT FOOD are our main drivers... of course we want to visit few wineries. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I made reservations for dinner at REDD in Yountville and also at Cyrus in Healsburg.... (need to choose one). Thanks!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,452 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sonoma trip planning - two nights next wknd - NEED HELP

Well, keep in mind that Yountville and Healdsburg are in different valleys. Yountville is in Napa Valley and Healdsburg in toward the northern end of Sonoma County. Since you will be staying near Sonoma plaza either one can be convenient with a short drive.

Napa Valley is of course very beautiful with expansive wineries with beautiful buildings. Sonoma is a little bit more laid back (in my opinion) with equally beautiful countryside but smaller wineries.

I don't know if this will be helpful, but I am happy to answer other questions. I have spent time in both valleys and each brings unique opportunities.

dctravel

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,591 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sonoma trip planning - two nights next wknd - NEED HELP

Wait a minute.......

If you are staying at Inn at Sonoma and you have reservations in Healdsburg and Yountville. for your two dinners?.....you really need a geography lesson.

Neither of these is a "short drive" for dinner from the town of Sonoma.

Yountville is in the Napa Valley, about 30 miles from Sonoma. Healdsburg is on the Hwy 101 corridor in the other direction, 37 miles. I do not enjoy a round trip of over 60 miles for dinner.

The town of Sonoma has some excellent restaurants. Look at Estate Do some searching....

Or decide whether you want to be in the Napa Valley or the Healdsburg area, and change your lodging. They are far apart.

My choice would be to keep your lodging and explore fine restaurants around the Sonoma Plaza.

http://www.estate-sonoma.com/

http://www.dellasantinas.com/

thegirlandthefig.com/html-sonoma/index.html

http://cafelahaye.com/

http://www.eldoradosonoma.com/

Anyway.....my two cents worth.

Have a great trip.

If you are staying at Inn at Sonoma you will have a great stay....Walk around the Plaza, go to the great import store next to the El Dorado Hotel, Baksheesh...sample the cheeses at the Cheese Factory, buy some picnic food and eat it in the Plaza, feed your leftover bread to the ducks in the duck pond.

Walk up Spain Street to the Sebastiani Winery.

Drive out to Old Winery Road and visit the tiny Buena Vista Winery...a lovely stone building...the location where the Hungarian Count....Agostin Harazsthy....brought the first European wine grape cuttings to California, thus starting the whole thing.

I do hope you are not seduced by the hype for Redd and Cyrus enough to drive all over the place....enjoy where you are.

Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
Level Contributor
4,818 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sonoma trip planning - two nights next wknd - NEED HELP

It's a fair amount of time to get from your lodging in Sonoma town to Cyrus in downtown Healdsburg. Allow at least one hour since you aren't familiar with the roads and the traffic (I'm assuming). Better yet head out a couple of hrs. prior to your reservation time so you'll be able to walk around the charming Healdsburg Plaza area before dinner. The fact that you already have reservations secured and Cyrus is the most unique and extraordinary restaurant in all of Sonoma County, I would definitely have dinner there. I can't imagine that you'd regret it--it's a grand experience! But keep in mind that you'll be spending some serious money there ($300+ per couple). You can have lunch, Sun. brunch or dinner at Redd, so you can still dine there if you like. But if you only have 2 days, I would strongly encourage you to remain in the Sonoma Valley during your stay (with the exception of going to Cyrus). You will then have time to truly enjoy your surroundings and experience the area. Walk around the historic Sonoma Plaza and have lunch at the girl and the fig. If you're inclined to visit a couple of very attractive, historic wineries, go to Buena Vista and Bartholomew Park in the Sonoma town area. Drive scenic Hwy. 12 from Sonoma town to Kenwood and you'll be able to stop at any number of picturesque wineries along that route, inc: Deerfield Ranch, Chateau St. Jean, St. Francis and Ledson. Take a short side trip into the town of Glen Ellen and over to Benziger Family Winery (nice tour plus beautiful gardens and scenery), and also visit Jack London State Historic Park in the same area--a wonderful place to walk with lovely views and historic bldgs, and an intriguing museum. I would think that these suggestions would more than fill your 2 days.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
21,945 posts
5,139 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sonoma trip planning - two nights next wknd - NEED HELP

I agree with Forestvillain. Given 2 days, if you focus on Sonoma and Healdsburg you will have a wonderful stay and visit.

Atlanta
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sonoma trip planning - two nights next wknd - NEED HELP

Thank you all for the advice. I did a lot of research about the restaurants and I knew they were far away... I really wanted to know if driving up to Healdsbug or Yountville was worth the time... We have friends staying at the Fairmont Mission Inn, and I undertand that there are good dining options there as well. Thanks for the great advice.

Napa
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Sonoma trip planning - two nights next wknd - NEED HELP

I suggest you spend one day in each valley and since you are staying in Sonoma Valley, I would focus on Sonoma Valley and Napa Valley.

In Sonoma Valley contact Petroni vineyards..tell them Small Lots Big Wines sent you. They have some of the most amazing scenery you'll ever see. After Petroni do the food and wine pairing at Mayo Reserve Room..super delicious. Next go to Paradise Ridge..not the one in Kenwood but the one in Santa Rosa..they have AMAZING VIEWS there.

For Sonoma go up to Summit Lake Vineyards in Angwin, Astrale e Terra in Napa, and Yates up on Mt. Veeder. You'll get amazing wine and views.

If you need any help just contact me.

Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
Level Contributor
4,818 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sonoma trip planning - two nights next wknd - NEED HELP

The itinerary SmallLots has outlined would be an interesting one IF you had more days to spend. With such little time, don't spend a large chunk of it driving from one point to the next--esp. since the locations are quite spread out. And if this will be your very first time in the area, my advice about limiting the "car time" would double!

8. Re: Sonoma trip planning - two nights next wknd - NEED HELP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2011, 06:18