We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two days for Napa and Sonoma Valleys

Sydney
Level Contributor
12 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Two days for Napa and Sonoma Valleys

Hi,

I have just2 days in mid-November to visit these places, starting from San Francisco on Nov 15th.

Is it viable to start by car Tuesday morning and return to SF Wed evening?

Any recommendations re routes, accommodation and anything else? My main interest is in visiting a few quality wineries, a good meal or 2, as well as taking in the scenery along the way.

Thanks in anticipation.

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
Level Contributor
4,844 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two days for Napa and Sonoma Valleys

Unless "driving thru" both Valleys seems OK, I would strongly encourage you to choose either Napa Valley or Sonoma Valley for your very short visit. Reading some trip reports for each area might sway you one way or the other. One thing is for sure, you can't go wrong with regard to choices of great wineries, excellent restaurants and beautiful scenery!

Mentioned in this post
Napa Valley
Napa Valley
California
Sonoma Valley
Sonoma Valley
675 Reviews
Sonoma, CA
united states
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two days for Napa and Sonoma Valleys

Hi Lombard. I just read an article about this very thing- check out "Going Both Ways" at http:// …winecountry.com/travel/2009/06/going-both-w… I'm not sure, but since Courtney Cochran is the author, I suspect that I found it through the winetravel.com website.

Sunset Magazine had an article about visiting both areas as well, I believe; check their website and if its not in the list, check the archived articles.

Napa
Level Contributor
2,486 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two days for Napa and Sonoma Valleys

It's very doable, I would use Hwy 12 through Sonoma Valley, maybe stay in Healdsburg. Then go through Alexander Valley to Calistoga on the way back. It will be such a beautiful drive as the leaves of the grapes will have turned some amazing colors, mixed in with some vines that have dropped all their leaves.

Have fun!

Mentioned in this post
Sonoma Valley
Sonoma Valley
675 Reviews
Sonoma, CA
Healdsburg
Healdsburg
Sonoma County, CA
Sonoma, California
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Two days for Napa and Sonoma Valleys

As for the drive, I'd suggest up Napa Valley and over to Healdsburg and around down into Sonoma you are sure to find a reasonablly priced room on a tuesday in November and will have passed 100's of wineries along the way. It's a long trip, but should be beautiful that time of year.

Mentioned in this post
Napa Valley
Napa Valley
California
Healdsburg
Healdsburg
Sonoma County, CA
Level Contributor
37,663 posts
960 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Two days for Napa and Sonoma Valleys

Healdsburg is a lovely area to explore, the Inn @ the Plaza is quaint, small property where we enjoyed a one night stay. You can walk to restaurants and tasting rooms from this property. Don't miss Ferrari-Carano winery in this area. :)

Edited: 09 October 2010, 18:27
Mentioned in this post
Healdsburg
Healdsburg
Sonoma County, CA
6. Re: Two days for Napa and Sonoma Valleys

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 April 2011, 06:19