We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TR: 5 Weeks, 4 states and 3874 miles later.... Wine Country

Which Sonoma hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,129 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
TR: 5 Weeks, 4 states and 3874 miles later.... Wine Country

After only being home for what...2 months now, I’m finally starting to get writing some TRs. A little bit of background, we [Mum, Dad and myself, DD19], did a roadtrip around California, and part of the Southwest hitting some Nationals Parks, in total we took nearly 10,000, travelled 3874 miles through 4 states over 5 weeks. Here is our daytrip to Wine Country.

======================================

Fri 16th July: Today didn’t quite work out the why we wanted, the plan was to visit some wineries in the Glen Ellen and Santa Rosa area. Was up and out later then liked – good start to the day, had breakfast at Cafe GoLo on Lombard St, nice friendly owner, place got busier as we left.

I wanted to be in Sonoma for 10am, when the wineries started opening, not leaving at 10ish. Stopped at the Sonoma Visitor Centre, got some free maps, and recommendations. Went to the Buena Vista Winery. Like Sonoma was a very nice little town, nice plaza area.

Onto Glen Ellen, went to the Benziger Winery to do the tour about wine making, interesting tour, nice hot day, parents brought some wine. Had lunch at the Glen Ellen Market, there was lots of great freshly prepared options.

We didn’t leave Glen Ellen til 3ish, and most wineries shut around 4pm, we tried to make it to Baletto in Santa Rosa [Mum enjoys Rose], but we got a little lost and couldn’t find the right turn off. 4pm had pasted, to we carried on to Armstrong Grove, to see some redwoods, we had only days before seen the redwoods at Mariposa Grove in Yosemite. These redwoods were the tallest living things in the world; the park was empty and quite.

We then headed down the coast through Bodega Bay, but the fog had already started to set in. Somehow we ended up off the coastal road and in Petaluma so we took the 101 south instead. Stopped at In-n-Out Burger, just before the Golden Gate Bridge entrance, our first In-n-out of the trip! The burger was enjoyable, but I wasn’t too keen on the fries.

We had been played the license plate game this trip and only had 3 left to get, North Dakota, Wyoming and West Virginia. As turning into the hotel parking lot, we finally saw Wyoming!!! Only 2 left...in the morning we had managed to get booked on Mr Toads 3hr postcard tour for 10:30am tomorrow.

The temperatures, that day had varied soo much, Sonoma was hot, Armstrong Grove was cool, Bodega Bay was foggy, Petaluma was bright, and Golden Gate Bridge foggy.

==================================

This was a good day out, would have been even better if we had gotten to Sonoma earlier. I would love to return to Wine Country, and to have more time.

united states
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TR: 5 Weeks, 4 states and 3874 miles later.... Wine Country

Thanks for a great report! Hopefully next time you can plan a longer visit to the wine regions.

Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,129 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TR: 5 Weeks, 4 states and 3874 miles later.... Wine Country

Thanks for the comments; if your interested in reading ALL of our trip, here's it is one big thread!

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g1-i12567-k39896…

Level Contributor
34,991 posts
898 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TR: 5 Weeks, 4 states and 3874 miles later.... Wine Country

Sounds like you had a nice trip, I enjoyed reading about your travels! :)

4. Re: TR: 5 Weeks, 4 states and 3874 miles later.... Wine Country

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 April 2011, 05:17