We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Surprise trip for hubby- sonoma or napa?

Which Sonoma hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Winter Park, Florida
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Surprise trip for hubby- sonoma or napa?

Hi everyone! Thank you so much for taking the time to help me out! I'm surprising hubby with a trip to nor cal in April for his birthday. I've been to San fran once about 10 hrs ago, he's never been.

About our trip: arriving to SFO wed , departing SFO the following Tuesday. Would love 1 night in San fran and 1 full day.

Flexible about napa or sonoma- wondering if we should do both?

About us: huge foodies. Im a gourmet cook and own a catering biz. Love wine, want a 3+ star experience (but not overpriced either) but would like to be wowed by some scenery and a beautiful, clean hotel :) (romantic is a plus- hey we have 4 kids under age 7 we need it!!)

love wine, but not wine snobs or too knowledgeable about wine.

So any tips, pointers or suggestions are welcome! I'm a bit of a bargain hunter so love to find a deal (who doesn't!) so I love to research and learn as much as I can!

Thx

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,171 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Surprise trip for hubby- sonoma or napa?

Sonoma and Napa counties are both beautiful and worth exploring. With 6 days you should be able to see quite a bit if you have a car.

I had a wonderful stay at the Hotel Healdsburg www.HotelHealdsburg.com. The town of Healdsburg is will located for exploring area and is home of the Charlie Palmer's Dry Creek Kitchen, where we had a wonderful dinner. There are several other highly rated restaurants within walking distance.

You may wish to split your stay with 3 days in Napa County and 3 in Sonoma County. Sonoma County has many great resorts and hotels.

While I understand shorthand messages, please do the locals a favor and

refrain from calling Northern California "Nor Cal" or San Francisco "San Fran." It burns many of us when we hear those terms.

Sonoma, California
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Surprise trip for hubby- sonoma or napa?

I have to admit I don't know too much about Napa, but Sonoma has a handful of great places to eat. I'd suggest Cafe La Haye http://cafelahaye.com/, Hot Box Grill http://www.hotboxgrill.com/, and El Dorado Kitchen (EDK) www.eldoradosonoma.com/el_dorado_kitchen.html for you fine dining experiences in town. For the good but not expensive meals I'd suggest Red Grape http://www.theredgrape.com/, Murphy's Irish Pub http://www.sonomapub.com/, and the Taste of the Himalayas yelp.com/biz/taste-of-the-himalayas-sonoma

I hope this helps!

Hunt Bailie

Level Contributor
34,465 posts
889 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Surprise trip for hubby- sonoma or napa?

If you're a huge foodie, I would stay in Healdsburg and go to Cyrus. We have enjoyed stays at both the Hotel Healdsburg and the Inn @ the Plaza, you can walk to Cyrus from both of these properties. Have fun! :)

Winter Park, Florida
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Surprise trip for hubby- sonoma or napa?

Very interesting comment re: shorthand. Never knew that! Would u mind sharing why?

Thx

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,718 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Surprise trip for hubby- sonoma or napa?

I dunno.

Would you like us to make up our own shorthand for Orlando? Or Florida?

Nobody around her calls Northern California "nor cal" or San Francisco "San Fran".

It grates on the nerves. Sorry about that, but the "cutesy" names just don't go with the locals.

Think about it.

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
131 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Surprise trip for hubby- sonoma or napa?

Having lived there I can second that locals are irritated at those terms. I can't tell you why. Some of it I suspect is the the mild disdain that "Northern California" has for Southern California. Same state but 2 very different cultures. It is ok to say "So Cal" when talking about the southern portion of the state so maybe they are just trying to distance themselves a bit from their neighbors.

Same thing about the San Fran/San Francisco issue. The area is a huge tourist destination and I alway felt that people did not appreciate tourists refering to the city in such an informal way. Kind of a way of saying your a visitor/guest so do me the favor of pronouncing my name correctly. However, if you want to call it "The City" you will fit right in. (as if there are no other "cities" in the world ;) )

Just my opinion.....I could be wrong.

As for your original question, we have always enjoyed Zazu in Santa Rosa.

7. Re: Surprise trip for hubby- sonoma or napa?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 June 2011, 05:17