We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Help - Sonoma Valley and/or Russian River Valley???

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Topic
Need Help - Sonoma Valley and/or Russian River Valley???

Hey all,

My wife and I (and 7 month old) are planning to visit wine country. We've been before, but when we went last time, we only stayed in the town of Sonoma and visited a few wineries in the area.

This time, we're planning to be in wine country for 3 full days, leaving on the 4th. We plan on making it a very relaxing time in California, especially since we'll have our six month old.

We'd like to stay in a town/area that we've never been too, but we really liked the feel of Sonoma (and we stayed at the Inn at Sonoma and LOVED IT!).

We'd like to visit other areas in the Sonoma Valley or Russian River Valley or if you would suggest a different area, please do. We'd like to choose a hotel in ONE town and then be able to drive to the other areas and wineries (without having to drive a 1.5 hours away.

I've read good things about Healdsburg, but not sure about it yet...

Is there a hands-down best town to stay in? Or if not, what are your favorites and why?

And if you recommend a specific hotel, please do.

Thanks a lot for your help! I'm kind of on information overload at this point, so any suggestions are appreciated!

Matt

Mentioned in this post
Sonoma
Sonoma
Sonoma County, CA
California
California
United States
Sonoma Valley
Sonoma Valley
682 Reviews
Sonoma, CA
Healdsburg
Healdsburg
Sonoma County, CA
Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,704 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Help - Sonoma Valley and/or Russian River Valley???

Sonoma County is more spread out than the Napa Valley, where most of the wineries are concentrated in a narrow strip about 20 miles long.

Healdsburg is a very pretty, rather spendy little town with several good small hotels and a lot of restaurants. There are wineries nearby. It is towards the northern end of Sonoma County and the town of Sonoma is near the southern end. It's about a 35 mile--really about an hour given the roads--drive between them.

Santa Rosa is the largest city and the most central point in the county. Many people don't find it all that attractive, though they have been working on their downtown. The Hotel La Rose is a well restored historic hotel in the Railroad Square district. I'd probably opt for Healdsburg, but depending on where specifically you want to go, there might be less driving from Santa Rosa.

Mentioned in this post
Sonoma County
Sonoma County
California
Napa Valley
Napa Valley
California
Healdsburg
Healdsburg
Sonoma County, CA
Sonoma
Sonoma
Sonoma County, CA
Santa Rosa
Santa Rosa
Sonoma County, CA
Hotel La Rose
Hotel La Rose
473 Reviews
Santa Rosa, CA
2. Re: Need Help - Sonoma Valley and/or Russian River Valley???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 03 April 2011, 00:27
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,997 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Help - Sonoma Valley and/or Russian River Valley???

I believe I left a message on your other thread on this topic.

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
308 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Help - Sonoma Valley and/or Russian River Valley???

I just posted our trip, I would stay in Healdsburg again without a doubt! Read my trip report if you want. We stayed for 4 days/3 nights, great time! Last April we were in Sonoma for 2 days.

Mentioned in this post
Healdsburg
Healdsburg
Sonoma County, CA
Sonoma
Sonoma
Sonoma County, CA
Indianapolis
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Need Help - Sonoma Valley and/or Russian River Valley???

Thanks for the tips. Getting ready to read your trip report now...

cheers,

Matt

6. Re: Need Help - Sonoma Valley and/or Russian River Valley???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 02:18