We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wine Road Tickets?

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
954 posts
261 reviews
Save Topic
Wine Road Tickets?

We are doing Napa one day and Sonoma the next. I've come across tickets to the "Wine Road" in Sonoma for $25. Can anyone recommend this? Note, we are on a budget so some of the vineyards (i.e., Sterling) will really add up in two days. I thought the ticket for $25 seemed like a really good value for a day ...

I see all of our favorite vineyards (chardonnays) however, we'd prefer not paying $10-15 per vineyard we visit ... Suggestions please?

united states
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wine Road Tickets?

Hi Jules.

The Ticket to the Wine Road program is a great idea, but it seems to be having some difficulties with getting established. We used the porgram a little over a year ago and found that some of the listed participants did not honor the ticket.....now to be fair, we found that the list we used may have been the one from the previous year and thus not properly updated, but since that time there have been a couple of other posts regarding miscommunication issues between the participating wineries and the wineroad office. Its definitely a good value, but I would say that you should verify the list of active participants and perhaps even call the wineries beforehand to be sure they will honor the ticket. Also, keep in mind that that cost is PER PERSON and you should absolutely be certain to print the ticket and the list to take with you and show at the winery.

The Visa Signature program is also a great cost-saver, so if you have a Visa Signature card use that....I believe there are around 60 participating wineries in that one; you can check the list at the Visa website and/or wineroad.com I believe. I know of people who have gotten the Visa Signature card solely for the free tastings benefit! The only time they use it is for the annual Sonoma visit.

Other cost saving options are the coupons that are available on-line at numerous wine-related sites: Cheers2wine, winecountry.com and some of the wineries offer printable coupons. Those are usually a 2 for 1 deal. If you will check at your lodging, the concierge or front desk is likely to have tasting coupons but you usually have to ask for them...my understanding is that they are allocated so only a few are available.

Another thing you can do is check into some of the ( what I call) cooperative groups. Wilson Artisan group is the one I know best- if you go to one of their wineries to taste and plan to go to any of the other wineries in the group you can get a tasting card for complimentary ( or 2 for 1) tastings at the other locations.

We have also learned that asking the tasting room staff for their recommendations can lead to complimentary tastings at the other winery...I know that Pedroncelli gave us cards for several neighboring wineries when we asked them for suggestions.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
954 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wine Road Tickets?

Great suggestions! Thanks for sharing ... We are staying at the Hyatt Vineyard Creek so I think I'll reach out to the Concierge as well ...

united states
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wine Road Tickets?

Well, if Ramon is still the conceirge there he will give you great advice. He is also very willing to give out the tasting passes if you ask him.

I like the location of that hotel a lot because its right across from Railroad Square which is full of dining options and some great shops, too.

It will take you some time to get out to the wineries, unless you are planning to stop in at some of the urban ones like Carol Shelton and Trecini ( highly recommend them) or Paradise Ridge; plan about 20 minutes or so to get to the closer ones.

Something I forgot to mention about the Wine Road tickets in my first response : we found that most of the Wine Road ticket participants are also Visa Signature participants- at least the ones that we were interested in visiting- so the real benefit of that program was for the folks who want the "extras" like winemaker tastings or tours and such that one usually pays extra for. We did get glasses at a couple spots, I think, but mostly we just wanted to try the wines so the tours, etc weren't our focus. So, for our situation, the tickets weren't really of any additional value since they didn't offer anything we couldn't get with our Signature card. And actually, I think that the Visa program allows for 2 free tastings /card , at least that seems to be what we get most if not all the time, where with the Ticket each person needs to show their ticket to get the discount. Just something to consider as you plan.

Of course, if you check with Ramon, it will all be moot because he can probably give you passes for about anywhere you'd like to visit

Enjoy your adventure ! !

4. Re: Wine Road Tickets?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2012, 02:18