We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bodega Bay vs. Jenner for overnight

Which Sonoma hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
139 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Bodega Bay vs. Jenner for overnight

I welcome any advice on whether to spend the night in Bodega Bay or Jenner.

For context, here is our itinerary for Easter weekend (this weekend!):

Friday - arrive SFO at noon, rent a car, drive up to Sausalito, check in to our inn, explore Sausalito galleries & restaurants.

Saturday - do Muir Woods, Mt. Tamalpais & Stinson Beach, drive to Bodega Bay or Jenner for the night.

Sunday - leave Bodega/Jenner, visit three wineries: J Vineyards/Winery in Healdsburg/Windsor, Chateau St. Jean in Kenwood and Gloria Ferrer in Sonoma, then head back to SFO for the red-eye home.

I particularly welcome any guidance on Bodega Bay/Jenner, but also would entertain suggested alternatives to the above. Thanks in advance!

Level Contributor
34,465 posts
889 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bodega Bay vs. Jenner for overnight

The Bodega Bay Lodge & Spa is very nice. I have photos posted on this site. We had the Trumpeter Swan room. The Duck Club, which is the restaurant here is also very good. We have not stayed in Jenner. Sounds like a great time! :)

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,718 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bodega Bay vs. Jenner for overnight

Definitely Bodega Bay. There aren't that many accommodations in Jenner. In addition to the Bodega Bay LodgeandSpa www.bodegabaylodge.com,there is the Bodega Coast Inn and Suites..www.bodegacoastinn.com and The Inn at the Tides..www.innatthetides.com. The first three are on the Bay side of Highway One, Inn at the Tides sits on a hill on the east side.

Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
Level Contributor
4,819 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bodega Bay vs. Jenner for overnight

Since you'll have very limited time on the Sonoma Coast, I think it would be more practical to stay in Bodega Bay. I also really like the Bodega Bay Lodge. It has an understated yet very nice, comfortable feeling to it, and the Duck Club Restaurant is just superb. I'd recommend staying in Jenner if you were going to spend more time on the coast, as it provides a unique experience of being part of the wild, rugged Sonoma Coast. Just for the heck of it, you might want to take a look at the River's End site: www.ilovesunsets.com/lodging.html Uh, oh--I JUST noticed that you're coming here in a few days! We are having some very wet weather and the rains are supposed to continue thru the weekend. Right now there are several mudslides and some flooding in the River Rd. and Hwy 116 areas--the routes to the coast from #101 in Sonoma Co. Marin Co. is also experiencing some prob's at this point. So--be certain to check road conditions once you arrive in Sausalito. Your inn will be able to assist you there. You should be fine getting from SFO to Sausalito, and I believe if you approach the Sonoma Coast from the so. out of West Marin, you'll be OK. Once in Bodega Bay, just be sure to check again on conditions for the route you'll take inland--probably #116 to River Rd. east. Easter Sun. morn. we'll be heading to the Bodega Bay Lodge for brunch, so you can bet we will find a way to get there!

Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
139 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bodega Bay vs. Jenner for overnight

Thanks so much for your informative responses, everyone. This last-minute trip is coming together nicely.

Sounds like we didn't pick a great weekend weather-wise (will be 80 & sunny here in NC), but we didn't pick when the holiday would fall, so we'll just roll with the punches! (but hopefully not slide with them) :)

Thanks so much for the suggestions of Bodega Bay Lodge, Bodega Coast Inn and The Inn at the Tides. The first two were already booked, and the third is a bit above our price range (hope to be in the $150 area).

Can anyone provide an opinion on the Bodega Harbor Inn? Three of four reviews on this site sounded good (though basic, which is fine with us).

Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
139 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bodega Bay vs. Jenner for overnight

Well, I can answer my own question on the Bodega Harbor Inn. We rented the Cottage (really a little efficiency) for $150/night. I should have known something was up when the lady who gave me the key & directions (over a block & around the corner from the office) said "It may be kind of musty, so you'll want to open the windows for a bit -- it hasn't been rented in a few days, and being by the ocean..."

Ugh. Even after airing the place out (none to pleasant on a dreary 55 degree day) for awhile, it was still quite musty. The room was clean, but my allergies started going like crazy. My guess is the cottage has a mold problem, because my eyes were so puffed up by morning I could hardly open them. They need to rip the old carpet out of there immediately, and that might help.

Next time, I won't be so cheap. I should have sprung the money for a better place.

Ah well, live & learn.

Sunday in Sonoma County, however, was wonderful, and clear & sunny for much of the day. Because it was Easter Sunday, most wineries were closed. We altered our plans for which wineries to visit, and weren't at all disappointed. Here's the rundown on the places we visited:

Ridge on Lytton Springs Rd, north of Healdsburg. Known for their Zinfandels, we really enjoyed this visit. The building housing the tasting room is a straw-bale building with solar power, and is an education in itself on eco-sustainability. We were a bit underwhelmed by the Zinfandels, given their reputation, but we did walk away with one bottle of the 2003 Ponzo Zinfandel.

Next was David Bynum on the south end of Westside Rd, about halfway between Healdsburg and Guerneville. Tucked away in an old bard at the end of a long driveway was a nice big dark tasting room. We bought a nice dry Fume Blanc.

A very short way down Westside Rd. was Porter Creek. The tasting room is in what looks like a big charming gardening shed (8 people tasting at the same time made for very tight space!). The guy pouring was a blast, and we bought two fabulous wines: Fiona Hill Pinot Noir and a Zinfandel that was the best thing we tasted all day -- and we tasted a lot of Zins!

Our last stop was just a little farther down Westside Rd., just before the bridge to Forestville, Gary Farrell. They have a gorgeous large tasting room with a massive window the length of the bar with a tremendous view of the valley below. This one is worth it just for the view, but we also bought two very tasty wines -- a Pinot Noir and a Sauvignon Blanc.

A lovely day for wine! Thanks for the help in planning. Wish I'd taken your advice about lodging in Bodega Bay!