We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carmel or Sonoma?

Saint Louis...
5 posts
Save Topic
Carmel or Sonoma?

My husband and I are planning a trip to San Francisco this summer for 5 nights. We will stay 2 nights in San Francisco. We've never been here before. We cannot decide on whether to stay the remaining 3 nights in Carmel or in Sonoma. We definitely want to drive along the coast and see some beautiful scenery, but we also want to visit some vineyards too. Unfortunately, we don't have time to do both. Which area do you think is better to visit? If we stayed in Sonoma would the drive along the HWY 1 north of San Francisco be as beautiful as driving south near Big Sur?

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,358 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Carmel or Sonoma?

There are answers for you on your other thread on this subject.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
103 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Carmel or Sonoma?

The drive north of San Francisco is also beautiful! (Though I find with slightly sharper curves, which can get a little quesy in a car.)

I've been to both (Carmel experience here: http://www.stephandben.com/2012/11/road-trip-monterey-carmel-motorcycle.html; Sonoma experiences here: stephandben.com/2013/… http://www.stephandben.com/2013/02/russian-river-wine-motorcycling-roads.html). I can't speak to which you would like, but the town of Carmel itself would not have entertained me for that long (of course there's plenty nearby).

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,358 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Carmel or Sonoma?

The day trip I gave you from San Francisco up the coast to the redwoods at Armstrong Redwoods in Guerneville and then on into the Sonoma valley wine country does not include sharp curves or queasy driving. You will run into that, and high cliff driving, if you begin the Hwy 1 drive from Mill Valley, instead of waiting until Petaluma.

The first part of hwy 1 after San Francisco is high on the cliffs and curvy driving. But it goes inland at Point Reyes and does not come out at the coast until Bodega Bay, which is why it makes sense to pick up the coast there by driving over from Petaluma, unless you are a fan of dramatic coast driving. I like it myself, but in small doses.

Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Carmel or Sonoma?

Hi there! Well, you are up for a good time! Sonoma/ Napa is a close drive, stay somewhere nice with a wine tour. Carmel, one of my favorites. Drive #1 down through half moon bay, Monterey ...) beautiful beach, quaint setting with good hotels and restaurants. Awesome!!

You could do both!

5. Re: Carmel or Sonoma?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 February 2014, 05:15