We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best winery's for Pinot Noir.

WI
Level Contributor
81 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Best winery's for Pinot Noir.

Starting to plan our trip & staying in Sonoma. Can you give me some wineries that have great Pinot Noirs? Thanks!

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,407 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best winery's for Pinot Noir.

The classic Pinot producer in Sonoma is Hanzell:

http://northbaybrewerytours.com/

Some of the newer noteworthy producers include Nicholson Ranch and Talisman:

http://www.nicholsonranch.com/

http://www.talismanwine.com/

However, the most sought after pinot noirs are grown in the western part of Sonoma County where you will find the Russian River and Sonoma Coast AVAs. These are a 45 minute to an hour drive from the town of Sonoma.

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,048 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best winery's for Pinot Noir.

Some of our favorites: Marcassin, Rochioli, Kosta Browne, Martinelli, Littorai, Williams Selyem, "J" (better known for sparklers, but pretty decent pinot, too). About half of these will require reservations; some may not be open to visitors unless you're on their allocation list. :-(

Edited: 22 September 2013, 20:02
Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,407 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best winery's for Pinot Noir.

Oops! Here's the correct link to Hanzell Vineyards. Sorry.

http://www.hanzell.com/

The last two current issues of Wine Spectator have some excellent reviews and articles on California Pinot Noir. If you are interested in learning about the top producers, this is an excellent place to start. Keep in mind though that the top Pinots are not cheap.

Mission Viejo,CA
Level Contributor
17 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best winery's for Pinot Noir.

This is the classic " too many wines, not enough time".

The previous postings recommended some very high end Pinot Noirs, which are wonderful but are difficult to find and expensive.

The best advice is to go to the internet and look up the website for the 'Prince of Pinot'. He has a monthly newsletter that will run 35 pages or more. He has lists of wineries, lodges and restaurants that feature Pinot Noirs on their menus.

His website is always up to date and extremely useful.

One personal favorite of mine is the new wine tasting area in Sabastopol called The Barlow. Visit with La Follette Winery and experience Pinot Noirs from 5 areas of Sonoma Cty and especially a wonderful Pinot Noir from the Mendocino Ridge area.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
604 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best winery's for Pinot Noir.

Look at the Harvest Fair results- just posted on the Press Democrat website and the Sonoma Harvest Fair website.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,334 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best winery's for Pinot Noir.

What Oregon John said although a couple on the list like KB and Marcassin may not accept visitors. I would add Merry Edwards.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
224 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best winery's for Pinot Noir.

Sojourn has a tasting room near Sonoma Plaza. Pricey tasting fee but really well crafted pinot noirs. Reservations required. Going north in Sonoma Valley, one of my favorites is Landmark Vineyards. Landmark makes very tasty, affordable wines. Beautiful grounds too. Enjoy!

Boston...
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best winery's for Pinot Noir.

We were in sonoma 2 weeks agoand we visited Domaine Carneros and sampled their 2009 estate pinot noir and i think it is one of the nicest pinot noirs i ve ever tasted.The sparklers are wonderful too.The tasting was 30.00 pp but we split it as it was the 1st stop of the day,w

We also went to Maddona,one of the oldest in sonoma and Arcacia,a gem in the valley,I am so glad i didn't miss either of these.These were all very nice tastings,Enjoy!

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,407 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best winery's for Pinot Noir.

Just to be clear, Domaine Carneros, Madonna, and Acacia are in Napa County, not Sonoma but are very close to the town of Sonoma making it easy to visit them.

Level Contributor
35,221 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best winery's for Pinot Noir.

We also love Domaine Carneros Pinot Noir! :)