We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thanksgiving Eating Out Suggestions?

San Francisco...
2 posts
Save Topic
Thanksgiving Eating Out Suggestions?

My sister is visiting from Chicago and I am thinking about NOT hostessing a group this year, but just wandering off to a pretty spot and a tasty meal. Does anybody have any suggestions?

We could start out from SF or from Sebastopol, and I'd drive an hour each way without too much complaining...So Point Reyes or Healdsburg/Petaluma/Bodega/ or ???

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,363 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thanksgiving Eating Out Suggestions?

My first suggestion would be to have reservations and not just plan on "wanderiing off to a pretty spot" and expecting to find a tasty meal.

On the other hand, if you are all adventurous I found myself alone on Thanksgiving one year and bought some food and had a picnic by myself on Salmon Creek Beach just north of Bodega Bay on my way north. (No picnic tables, however, just blankets and sand.) :~)

San Francisco...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Thanksgiving Eating Out Suggestions?

right....but reservations WHERE? If I don't feel like picnicking...

Station House Cafe is closed (Point Reyes)

I know the food there is good...

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
16,200 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thanksgiving Eating Out Suggestions?

A totally different direction (both style-wise and geographically), but what I remember is that the hotel/resort restaurants are the ones that tend to be open on holidays... Sante at the Sonoma Mission Inn usually, maybe the Healdsburg Hotel?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thanksgiving Eating Out Suggestions?

I think restaurants at holidays are the worst meals ever. Thanksgiving, Christmas, Valentine's Day, Mother's Day. Oh and New Year's Eve. I wouldn't consider dining out on these days. Limited menu, high prices, extra tables shoved in, a table for two becomes one for four and the most inexperienced kitchen and wait staff working.

I think the picnic idea is the best if you don't want to cook. Of course the weather may be iffy that time of year but anything is better IMO than eating out.

Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
Level Contributor
4,833 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thanksgiving Eating Out Suggestions?

Expensive fixed priced menu on Thanksgiving? Yes, usually. Under par quality? It really depends upon the restaurant. Many top tier restaurants offer Thanksgiving dinners of the same high caliber as their normal menus. It's still a bit early for most places to post their Thanksgiving menus online but they should be up in another week or so. In the meantime, do some searches for last yr's Thanksgiving recommendations. If your home base is Sebastopol, 2 excellent choices that I can personally vouch for are the French Garden (their buffet menu at $60pp is already on their website: http://frenchgardenrestaurant.com/cuisine/) and Applewood Inn located off #116 in the Guerneville area, a short drive west of Sebastopol). I've had Thanksgiving dinners at Applewood over numerous yrs. Altho' their menu is not yet online, last yr's price was $75pp. It's a holiday menu but you do have 2 choices for each of the courses.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
16,200 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thanksgiving Eating Out Suggestions?

I'm with WD on this... my parents used to live in Sonoma and we'd go out for holiday meals. Sante at the Sonoma Mission Inn was probably the best (and we tried everything that was open, both in Sonoma and San Francisco). And we've had some of the worst meals on holidays at hotel restaurants... staff that didn't want to be there, rushed service to allow the next seating (and that was after we were seated late because the previous seating didn't clear in time!), very limited choices, dry turkey (I learned never to order turkey on Thanksgiving at a restaurant), overdone roast beef. The only thing worse would be cooking it myself!!

7. Re: Thanksgiving Eating Out Suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2014, 05:18