We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luxury in Sonoma?

SoCal
Level Contributor
457 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Luxury in Sonoma?

Planning an event-driven weekend in late August and need to stay in the Sonoma area.

I would choose Healdsburg or Auberge du Soleil but both are too far away from where others will be staying (Sonoma proper or Novato).

Given those parameters, it looks to me like either the Kenwood Inn & Spa or the Fairmont Mission Inn are the most upscale options. Am I right or is there someplace else you would suggest? And if it is between these two, which one is nicer?

I also saw the MacArthur Place hotel right in Sonoma and like the location, but my husband doesn't like anything that feels like a B&B and this looks to be kind of a hybrid between hotel and B&B so that takes me back to Kenwood or the Fairmont.

Would you agree?

Level Contributor
35,742 posts
903 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luxury in Sonoma?

We have stayed at The Fairmont several times. One of the highlights of this property is their amazing spa which offers over 100 different treatments. They have an Olympic-sized mineral water pool and also a Watsu pool. Two wonderful restaurants are on-site, Sante which is a formal venue and Big 3 Diner, a more casual venue with awesome Lemon Pancakes. :)

Edited: 31 March 2014, 18:20
Wilmington, North...
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Luxury in Sonoma?

We are staying at The lodge at sonoma by Marriott April 28-May 4.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,245 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Luxury in Sonoma?

This may be too late, but I am interested in the description of MacArthur Place as "like a B and B". This is an historic property, the summer place of a wealthy San Francisco newspaperman, who raised trotting ponies. The restaurant is called "Saddles" and is in the former horse barn.

Yes, the manor house is still there, but the lodgings are in modern separate buildings put there when the property was developed as a hotel. There are several of them, clustered on the property. Spa services are available.

http://www.macarthurplace.com/index.php

The Kenwood Inn and Spa I am sure is very nice, but pretty far up the valley to be near your friends. I would choose the Fairmont Sonoma Mission Inn. This is an historic property where wealthy San Franciscans came during the 20's to "take the waters" and spend a week or two, or an entire summer. Mineral baths and massage and spa treatments are available, and the property is lovely. You can stay in the original hotel or in one of the newer buildings on the property.

www.fairmont.com/sonoma/…

Edited: 16 April 2014, 02:01
Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
20,727 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Luxury in Sonoma?

A private cottage at Carneros Inn is on my bucket list. Many friends have loved it there for quick get aways.

Edited: 16 April 2014, 03:28
Level Contributor
35,742 posts
903 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Luxury in Sonoma?

Carneros Inn is in Napa and it is very nice! We toured the property a few weeks ago, the cottages are absolutely gorgeous there as are the grounds. :)

6. Re: Luxury in Sonoma?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 April 2015, 07:15