We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

October visit- Wine Vacation SOS - Need Help!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
55 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
October visit- Wine Vacation SOS - Need Help!

Hello everyone & thanks for reading my Wine Planning Vacation SOS post!

Need help planning an October visit. We will be flying into SFO on Thursday, October 16th. Want to get in the car and go to Sonoma and or Napa for 3 nights. Not sure if we should focus on one area or split it up between the 2 locations, and undecided on the best place stay. Have looked at staying all 3 nights in downtown Sonoma or breaking it up elsewhere. Would like to visit several vineyards in 1 day and not drive (maybe walk , do car service or a wine tour). We are white wine lovers. Have looked at these wineries:

Benziger

Chateau St. Jean

Cline Cellars

Haywood

Imagery

Kenwood

Kunde

Ledson

Meadowcroft

Hanna Winery

Domaine Carheros

Help me decide on an itinerary and place to stay. There will be 2 of us in our late 30s, looking to spend under $400 a night.

Thank you!!!

Sonoma Valley Wine Trolley
Sightseeing Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Sonoma Adventures
Wine Tours & Tastings , Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Bike Tours
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,657 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: October visit- Wine Vacation SOS - Need Help!

You might be interested in this article which was in Arthur Frommer's Budget Travel, Feb. 2011, describing a walking tour of wineries near Sonoma. A good place to stay for this would be the El Dorado Hotel, which is on the Plaza.

budgettravel.com/feature/…

(I am getting pop-up ads when this loads. If it happens to you, I am sorry. You may have to reload to get rid of them.)

Edited: 02 June 2014, 17:20
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
55 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: October visit- Wine Vacation SOS - Need Help!

Thanks- this was very helpful.

Sonoma, California
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: October visit- Wine Vacation SOS - Need Help!

Hello! Sonoma has many tasting room in the Plaza, so you do not need the car but for the listed wineries yes, you need to drive! I would add Matanzas Creek Winery, it's beautiful to drive up there and their lavender fields are amazing.

And my suggestion is to do the mountain tour at Benzinger. And if you like sparkling wite, Gloria Ferrer.

October is the best season ever.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,657 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: October visit- Wine Vacation SOS - Need Help!

The tour at Benziger, mentioned above, is very interesting. It is a tram pulled by a tractor through their biodynamic, sustainable vineyards, with narration.

Followed by, of course, wine tasting. If you are interested, a good idea to call ahead for a reservation.

Be aware that crush is usually in September and October and lodgings and tours fill up. Good idea to reserve everything ahead of time. But it is a glorious time to be in the Napa and Sonoma Valleys when it is warm and the wonderful smell of grape juice permeates the air.

Edited: 03 June 2014, 04:21
Level Contributor
36,935 posts
946 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: October visit- Wine Vacation SOS - Need Help!

Great list! Don't miss Roche for wine tasting if you go to the square. Girl and the fig is a wonderful place for lunch there. :).

Edited: 10 June 2014, 15:41
6. Re: October visit- Wine Vacation SOS - Need Help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2015, 05:16