We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sonora at night, Yosemite by day

san francisco
8 posts
Save Topic
Sonora at night, Yosemite by day

We are planning a small 3 day visit to Yosemite the last week of Oct, and wonder if staying in Sonora will be convenient for most of our time visiting Yosemite.

We want to stay in a fairly cheap motel, but no dive. Let's say around $85. a night. Am I dreaming? Does anyone have a better suggestion of a close town to stay in that has something going for it in terms of restaurants, motels etc. .... and a scenic short drive to the Valley?

We ideally would like an off the strip hotel, motel, whatever. Clean, basic, perhaps 1 bedroom suite style.... like you find in Pacific Grove, Calif.

We hope to leave on Monday 10/22 for the area.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
15,712 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sonora at night, Yosemite by day

Sonora is about 75 miles from Yosemite Valley. It is a historic, interesting, and fun place, and the ride is beautiful, but do you really want to do the round trip every day of your vacation?

Are you looking to stay outside the park to save money, or because everything inside is sold out?

There's got to be something closer, even if you have to stay outside the actual park boundaries, like Groveland or maybe even Coulterville. I bet HotelCharlotte will come here with a suggestion--and then someone else will come and suggest Charlotte's place.

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
6,325 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sonora at night, Yosemite by day

Sonora is a nice place to visit on the way to Yosemite, but not as your base for a visit to Yosemite. It would be almost like staying in Monterey and driving to SF every day.

There are a number of motels in Mariposa that would suit your purposes, and while it's still almost an hour awayfrom many of the sights in the park, it's an improvement. There is also the Yosemite Gateway in Buck Meadows, past Groveland on 120...it used to be a Best Western but I think it's an America Best Value now? And of course you should also check out the Hotel Charlotte in Groveland!

I assume you weren't able to find anything to your liking at Curry Village in the park?

Saint Germain...
Level Contributor
2,513 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sonora at night, Yosemite by day

I agree that Sonora is a bit of of a trip for daily commutes into the Park.

Try Hotel Jeffery in Coulterville, historic and interesting and in your price range. www.StayNearYosemite.com will have their contact information.

There are a few places along the 24 mile stretch that makes up Groveland that might be in your price range, and getting up here cuts at least an hour a day out of your commute from Sonora.

Have a great visit, where ever you end up staying.

4. Re: Sonora at night, Yosemite by day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2009, 12:22
Get answers to your questions about Sonora