We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gold country bars/brewery ?

California
7 posts
Gold country bars/brewery ?

Greetings!! Hubby and I will be making first trip to Sonora area. We love breweries bars and wineries (among other things, lol). Are there any great places to visit???

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
18,654 posts
124 reviews
72 helpful votes
1. Re: Gold country bars/brewery ?

I don't know much about the Sonora area, but are you familiar with www.beeradvocate.com? I use this site quite a bit in planning my beer drinking on trips :-) Here is the link to the page with the CA directory.

beeradvocate.com/beerfly/directory/9/US/CA

Nevada
Level Contributor
2,031 posts
2. Re: Gold country bars/brewery ?

Well, I do know the Sonora area.

There are a few bars in historic downtown Sonora - some historic bars are Zane's Iron Horse Saloon, The Office and Cervantes- all are on the main street (Washington Street). Newer ones are Emberz and The Diamondback, both of these are within the same 3 or 4 blocks as the historic ones. Then there is the old Jack Douglass Saloon in nearby historic Columbia, CA which could be worth a look inside

I might also add the Old Corner Saloon in historic Copperopolis, CA is quite popular -- where the infamous Black Bart was known to frequent in between his holding up the Wells Fargo stages numerous times. So the story goes this used to be a brothel -- it has quite a bit of history -- some call it "an institution." You probably won't like it, but maybe you will, so check out their web site www.oldcorner.com (I notice just under 59,000 visitors to their web).

There is a brewery in Oakdale, CA and a brewery in Arnold, CA.

There are only 25 to 30 wineries in the area, most of them clustered in Calaveras County which is a scenic 15-20 minute drive from Sonora. Mt Brow and La Bella Rosa are in Sonora. Then there are maybe 40 or so wineries in Amador County, a scenic one-hour drive north of Sonora.

That's about it -- with a slower pace than the Napa and Sonoma region.

Maybe I souldn't say this, but there is what I consider a really delapidated gold rush town (Plymouth, CA - no offense to the good people of Plymouth) in Amador County with a very high end restaurant: TASTE. Think Zagat, and James Beard -- they were chefs at the James Beard House earlier this year. You might want to try them out, but maybe not.

So go to www.restauranttaste.com Via Magazine says: Quiet Plymouth seems an odd setting for a restaurant as sleek and citified as Taste, but that’s by design. Owner/chef Mark Berkner’s small bites are perfectly suited to cap off a day of wine tasting. Start with the mushroom cigars wrapped in phyllo dough and just keep going . . .

Just some ideas around the area -----

Edited: 25 June 2013, 21:30
Long Barn...
Level Contributor
4,717 posts
10 reviews
14 helpful votes
3. Re: Gold country bars/brewery ?

Nearby in Groveland is the Iron Door Saloon. It is the oldest continuous operating saloon in California that dates back (and looks like) the gold rush era of the 1850's. Another very old one is at the Hotel Jefferies in Coulterville. You feel like you have just entered the old gold rush era as you walk through the doors.

The Snowshoe brewery in Arnold makes some great beers, but that might too far away from Sonora. Ironstone winery in Murphy's is highly recommended.

Nevada
Level Contributor
2,031 posts
4. Re: Gold country bars/brewery ?

Forgot to mention the What Cheer Saloon at the City Hotel in historic Columbia, CA - just down the main street a block from the Jack Douglass. It is another old gold rush saloon - the bar was made in Boston and was shipped around the horn. (In the 1800s, it was not uncommon for things, especially large things from The East headed for California to go by ship around South America to San Francisco, and then onward by ship to the Port of Stockton, then by horse and wagon to the foothills.)

Here is their web site:

briggshospitalityllc.com/the-city-hotel/…

5. Re: Gold country bars/brewery ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 August 2018, 22:18
Get answers to your questions about Sonora