We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Temecula from John Wayne Airport?

Indy
Level Contributor
208 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to Temecula from John Wayne Airport?

I was looking at several maps, and it looks like there are two options to get to Temecula from John Wayne Airport.

1. Go south on I-405 and I-5 to San Juan Capistrano and head west on Ortega Hwy to I-15 south.

2. Head north on 261 to 91, then south on I-15.

At least on paper, it seems like the distance isn't much different.

We should be leaving LA around 2:30pm on a Thursday in mid-October. Does anyone have suggestions?

Thanks!

Temecula, CA
Destination Expert
for Temecula
Level Contributor
1,329 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Temecula from John Wayne Airport?

Hi Tracy - definitely do NOT take the Ortega route. For 1 thing, its under construction and they close it down at night and during the day you have to deal with their detours, etc. The second thing is that it is a very dangerous road for someone who doesn't know it (thus the need for constructing a safer path). Many people who travel it regularly have lost their lives on that route.

The 261 portion of the trip is a toll road. It costs about $6-$7.00 one way to use it, but its a good alternative if you are traveling during rush hour (5-9 a.m. and 3-7 p.m.).

If you are coming mid day, you can travel for free by taking the 55 north to the 91 east to the 15 south.

If you leave as planned at 2:30, its a gamble either way. The 261 drops you off in Corona traffic until the 15 interchange. Once you are on the 15, traffic will bog down until you are out of Temescal Canyon. Once you reach Horsethief Canyon Road, it should move quite smoothly. I would plan on at least 90 minutes to get from SNA to here, 2 hours to be really safe.

Temecula, CA
Destination Expert
for Temecula
Level Contributor
1,329 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Temecula from John Wayne Airport?

oops, sorry about that, you are leaving from LAX. Definitely take the 91 to the 15 south. Traffic on the 405 is a nightmare.

From LAX take the I-105 east, to the I-605 south to the 91 east to avoid most of the traffic. From LA it will take 2-2.5 hours depending on traffic.

Indy
Level Contributor
208 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Temecula from John Wayne Airport?

Thank you SO MUCH for your reply. We've driven mountainous roads before, but it's probably not worth the risk. Thank you for the heads-up! We will stick to my second option.

4. Re: Getting to Temecula from John Wayne Airport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2009, 13:16