We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TRIP REPORT # 3: Palm Spr, Salvation Mtn,Whales & Wine

Hartford...
Level Contributor
512 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
TRIP REPORT # 3: Palm Spr, Salvation Mtn,Whales & Wine

On Monday we took 2 cars to PALM SPRINGS (as one couple was planning on going on to Joshua Tree) for a ride on the AERIAL TRAM ($22.95 pp). It was very enjoyable with wonderful views. Son and Daughter-in-law spent some time hiking around the park at the top. Husband, daughter and her ‘not-able-to-walk-too-far-fiancé’ and I stayed back and had a drink in the bar and took in the views of Palm Springs.

The four of us continued on our way to find SALVATION MOUNTAIN in Niland, while passing by the Salton Sea. Salvation Mountain seems to get a mixed review on this forum---I gotta tell you, we thoroughly enjoyed it! What an unusual site—the artist (appeared to be in his 90’s) was there still painting away. We talked with him awhile and explored the ‘mountain’, taking lots of photos. I just love those road-side oddities—they are one of a kind!!

The sun was starting to go down so we checked the GPS for the fastest way back to Temecula which turned out to be below the Salton Sea back up north a bit then heading west, ended back up to where we were the day before, by Borrego Springs. It was a bit eerie making the trip back in the pitch darkness through the flat desert and the mountainy roads.

On Tuesday, 7 of us headed off to San Diego for a WHALE WATCHING trip aboard the “America” $65 pp for a 4 hour cruise with water and snacks included. (We also packed a light lunch and a few bottles of wine). Well worth it despite the fact that my daughter’s fiancé managed to lose the diamond from her engagement ring overboard (long story—luckily it was insured and a replacement will be forthcoming!). We saw a few whales and thoroughly enjoyed the view of San Diego from the water. Al, the sailor was entertaining and fun—I would definitely recommend this tour that leaves in front of the maritime museum. On the way back we could not pass up a stop at yet another winery. This time it was ORFILA WINERY in Esconcido—a large facility with an extensive list of wines.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,007 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TRIP REPORT # 3: Palm Spr, Salvation Mtn,Whales & Wine

So glad you got to Palm Springs, and had a chance to ride the aerial tram to Mt. San Jacinto. It's quite exciting riding up in the tram as it rotates. Some nice trails up there for hiking in good weather.

Keep up with the reports!

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,380 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TRIP REPORT # 3: Palm Spr, Salvation Mtn,Whales & Wine

Thanks for the PM.

Salvation Mountain is just one of those things that pretty much every state has..... an out of the way oddity in which one would get mixed reviews, with most people saying don't even bother to go to. Of course one would never know what it's all about without a sense of adventure. Glad you enjoyed the visit and I look forward to seeing the pics.

Dr. Z

Hartford...
Level Contributor
512 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TRIP REPORT # 3: Palm Spr, Salvation Mtn,Whales & Wine

Yep, Dr. Z. I'm all about the adventure! Pictures coming your way soon.

Napa
Level Contributor
2,486 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TRIP REPORT # 3: Palm Spr, Salvation Mtn,Whales & Wine

Thanks for the report! I'm curious why your future SIL had the huge diamond with him while whale watching - shouldn't it had been on your daughter's finger?

Hartford...
Level Contributor
512 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: TRIP REPORT # 3: Palm Spr, Salvation Mtn,Whales & Wine

well, Segway, regarding the ring (it was certainly not a huge diamond--not sure where you read that). The center diamond was loose, so my future SIL --ever wanting to be the hero-- insisted he could tighten the prong--the the rest is history. Believe me, my daugher is soooo sorry she handed him the ring. But all is well in loveland. :-)

Napa
Level Contributor
2,486 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: TRIP REPORT # 3: Palm Spr, Salvation Mtn,Whales & Wine

I have no idea where the huge part came from either - I was probably multitasking reading other blogs :) Glad the insurance will kick in for your daughter.

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: TRIP REPORT # 3: Palm Spr, Salvation Mtn,Whales & Wine

Salvation Mtn. is in the book and movie, "Into The Wild". Very worthwhile, especially if you have a sense of adventure.

8. Re: TRIP REPORT # 3: Palm Spr, Salvation Mtn,Whales & Wine

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 July 2010, 05:17