We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can we go in April?

Which Temecula hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
69 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Can we go in April?

I'd like to take my husband on a surprise wine tasting weekend in Temecula and I was wondering if April is an okay time to go. I assume the vines aren't very green yet that time of year so I was wondering what people would recommend.

Temecula, CA
Destination Expert
for Temecula
Level Contributor
1,320 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can we go in April?

Hello - actually, the vines are starting to bud out in April - its a very preety, green time to be in Temecula. April/May is actually my favorite time of the year here. The hills will be green with vegegation, versus the depressing brown look that prevails in the summer. Unfortunately, April is a hit or miss month with weather, especially this El Nino year. You may have very nice, reasonably warm weather or it could be cold, overcast or even raining. Sorry I can't be more specific, but its really hard to tell. As to wineries, its also a time of year that the wineries start to get very busy. We just had lunch at Wilson Creek over the Valentine's weekend, and it was amazing how many people came into town. Several bus loads with at least 4-5 shuttle vans were in the parking lot when we left. Wilson Creek, South Coast, and Ponte are the 3 major wineries that are favorites with the shuttle companies, so if you are looking for a less crowded experience, perhaps some of the independent wineries that require reservations. Go here: www.temeculawines.org, for information on most, if not all of the wineries, including hours of operation and those that required advance reservations.

Temecula
Level Contributor
43 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can we go in April?

April is awesome in Southern California Wine Country. This year the vines are expected to begin budding out in late March. The average Temecula high in April is 73 degrees F, and showers are rare (less than 1 inch precip for the month on average). Meadowlark makes a good point about wine tasting popularity... wine country can be festive and very crowded and Spring Saturdays. So if you prefer a quiter experience, come on a non-Saturday. Another bonus to a Spring visit is that a lot of the in-season extras, like free live music at many wineries, start up in the Spring and then run throughout the Summer.

I own a wine tour company called The Grapeline Wine Country Shuttle, and of course we receive a lot of feedback from wine country visitors. While Summer is undeniably the busiest time in wine country (due mainly to vacation schedules), the consensus on the best time to visit is late spring (April-May) as the vines are greening or Fall (Sep - Oct) when the harvest is near and Autumn colors spread through the vineyards.

3. Re: Can we go in April?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2010, 05:18