We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Torrance, the neigbourhood.

Which Torrance hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lille
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Torrance, the neigbourhood.

Hi,

I'm Aurelie and i would like to go on vacation in LA with my family.

But i've never been in LA before and i would like to get some information from other people.

I've found a hotel in Torrance, near by Del amo.

Is it OK to stay in this neigbourhood?

What are the scary or dangerous neigbourdhoods in LA?

What are the most beautiful attractions of LA?

And if you've got other informations about the city, post it here!

Thank you very much!

Friendly greetings, Aurelie.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
163 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Torrance, the neigbourhood.

Greetings to TripAdvisor, Aurelie!

I hope I can help you as I know the area quite well. I think the area is safe, though, you should exercise any of the precautions you do when you visit a larger city.

They have upgraded the Del Amo shopping center and added a two story open-air promenade. Consequently, there are now more things to do and places to eat.

For attractions, I suggest you take a look at the forum FAQ first:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g32655-i61-k119981…

After that, I think you'll get a better feel for what you want to do and places you would like to see.

Here is a great post on the Los Angeles neighborhoods (btw, Torrance is considered "South Bay")

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g32655-s204/Los-Angel…

As far as dangerous goes, I'm an LA native - been here my entire life. Some areas of LA may look a bit seedy (e.g., parts of downtown LA), but are fine during the day. If you keep your itinerary with the tourist attractions, you'll be fine.

If you are interested in visiting many tourist attactions, you may want to consider changing your hotel to a Hollywood location. That way, you won't be stuck on the freeways.

Will you have a car? If not, Torrance is probably not a good place to stay because it is not near a metro stop.

Info on the metro may be found at metro.net

Hope you enjoy our city!

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Torrance, the neigbourhood.

The Del Amo Mall in Torrance is about 10 minutes away by car from the beach. Torrance is bordered by Redondo Beach and Hermosa Beach to the west. There is a public bus in the Del Amo Mall bus depot that will take you to Hollywood Riviera in Redondo Beach (5-minute walk from the beach).

I think the best part of the South Bay area of LA is the realization that not all of LA is like what Hollywood depicts of LA. It's a great suburb of LA where you can raise children in a safe environment. Don't be too surprised when you visit Torrance, but a starter home in the best school district in Torrance starts at $900,0000!!! Crazy, but true!

With real estate prices so high in the South Bay area, the city has enough money to run an effective police department. So I think Torrance is one of the safest area in LA.

Unless your goal of staying in Torrance is to go shopping, there is really no need to stay by the Del Amo Mall. You will still need cars to get around LA.

Personally, if you plan to visit Disneyland, stay at hotels in Orange County. You can get a 4* hotel room for less than $100 through Priceline bidding in places like Irvine, Costa Mesa, or Newport Beach.

so cali
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Torrance, the neigbourhood.

Arianne,

The area around Del Amo is certainly safe, and less expensive than Beverly Hills, or Santa Monica, or

West Hollywood, but it's also very suburban. If that's what you're looking for, great, but if you're looking for a cosmopolitan experience, or great physical beauty, then Torrance won't be to your liking. The beaches are a 20 minute drive from Del Amo, which is pretty good for LA, but Torrance is not a beach community.

If you do decide upon Torrance you will be much happier if you rent a car! The main attractions of Los Angeles are some distance from Torrance, and our public transportation is much more cumbersome than what you're used to in France.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,493 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Torrance, the neigbourhood.

This is an old post, and the OP last decided to move over to Redondo Beach.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
19 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Torrance, the neigbourhood.

Actually, Torrance IS a beach community. Torrance has a beach... Torrance Beach and most definitely has a beach community attitude and feel, depending on where in Torrance you are. Just wanted to clear that up. I mean, all the Torrance High Schools have surf teams...

6. Re: Torrance, the neigbourhood.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 November 2009, 05:37
Get answers to your questions about Torrance