We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long Beach (LGB) or LAX to Torrance

Which Torrance hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Topic
Long Beach (LGB) or LAX to Torrance

Hi everyone - i have the option of flying into Long beach airport or LAX to get to Torrance (I have to attend a meeting there at 7pm). The next day, I will most likely drive to San Francisco.

(I'm actually from Singapore and not the US, please pardon all the questions! I do appreciate your help!)

- Which airport do I choose, considering ease of clearing bags, driving times (i plan to rent a car) AND ease (eg. traffic, safety etc)?

- Alternatively, is there is a free shuttle from either airport? That way, I may forgo the rental car to get to Torrance.

- My meeting is near the Del Amo Mall and

it is likely that I may spend that nite in Torrance and then rent a car the next day. Any suggestions for a hotel and car rental?

Thanks everyone...

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Long Beach (LGB) or LAX to Torrance

Hi Pamtrick,

I am assuming that if you fly to LAX, you will have a non-stop flight. Is this correct? On the other hand, if you fly to Long Beach, I am pretty sure that your flight would have to stop in another US city first, where you would have to go through customs, as the Long Beach Airport does not handle international flights, it only handles domestic flights. So flying to Long Beach means you have to stop somewhere and you'll be sitting on the ground most likely for at least a few hours - my guess is that there isn't any aspect of flying into LAX that is bad enough to offset that disadvantage if you fly to Long Beach.

That said, LAX is also a bit closer to the Del Amo Mall than the Long Beach airport is - about 12 miles vs. 15 miles. The bad part of LAX is that its a large airport, with long walks and lots of people, so it can be a bit more hectic than a smaller airport like Long Beach.

There are no free shuttles from either airport to the area of the Del Amo Mall as far as I am aware. It would be much easier to rent a car, but public transportation is probably another option (see www.metro.net trip planner), as is a taxi (probably $50-$60 from either airport to the Del Amo Mall).

As for hotels, if you do stay the night, what would your budget be for the hotel? There is a Marriott close to the mall, and also a DoubleTree, though neither will be the cheapest options. There's also a Howard Johnson, a Best Western and a Residence Inn nearby.

As for car rental - you can either rent at either airport if you decide to rent when you arrive. If not, there is an Enterprise car rental office in Torrance that is close enough to the mall that they'd probably be happy to pick you up from one of the hotels near the mall. Check with Enterprise but they should allow you to drop the car at either airport, though they may charge you a fee for doing so.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,266 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Long Beach (LGB) or LAX to Torrance

I see you are flying in from AZ after the Grand Canyon, so you will not be going through customs.

Long Beach is the easiest to fly into, rent a car and drive to Torrance for your evening meeting. No reason not to have a car, as most places in Torrance probably don't charge for overnight parking.

Then in the morning take off for San Francisco.

Check out prices for the Marriott, they are adjacent to the Del Amo Mall.

marriott.com/hotels/…

Singapore
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Long Beach (LGB) or LAX to Torrance

Mach3, CAnative... Thanks for the advice!

CAnative: kudos for finding out where I'm flying in from Arizona.

Its likely that I fly in from L.Vegas instead of Arizona - I'm actually coming in from the Grand canyon. Some have suggested that we drive from GC to Torrance, I don't know if we can take the 10hr drive!!

I found that renting a car from LGB costs USD50 more than from LAX. The question now is whether that USD50 is worth the ease of travel. I have gone thru LAX and it can be mayhem...given that we would have driven over 5hours that morning getting out of the Grand Canyon- I think its worth the $50buck. But I have to convince my husband - how much time would I save coming in from LGB?

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,266 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Long Beach (LGB) or LAX to Torrance

Pamtrick,

My son and wife just came back from their vacation around the states. Their first day was driving from here to the Grand Canyon. It's a long day, and they switched off behind the wheel. I don't know that I'd suggest that for you, because you have a business meeting when you get to Torrance! But, it can be done.

I live 3 miles from LAX and use it all the time. I don't think it would be such a big problem flying in on Southwest Air, renting a car and getting to Torrance. On the other hand, Long Beach is very easy to use, and only about 15 minutes longer drive. It will be freeway most of the way to Del Amo.

The plus for Long Beach is that it is so small, so you would get on your way to Torrance sooner.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,832 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Long Beach (LGB) or LAX to Torrance

I suggest you fly into LAX. You will have more flight options, and it will get you slightly closer to Torrance than LGB. Both Southwest and JetBlue offer quick flights and don't charge for checked luggage (2 pieces with SW, 1 piece with JB).

The primary difference with flying into LAX is you would not have to rent a car to get to Torrance! It sounds like a car rental may be an expensive hassle. Instead, you can take a Torrance Transit bus. Route 8 picks up at the LAX City Bus Center and has stops around Del Amo Mall. See http://www.ci.torrance.ca.us/128.htm for details.

To get the the LAX City Bus Center, you simply exit any terminal at the airport and catch the free "Lot C" shuttle. It has a stop right next to it.

While this option will take about one hour total, this will not be much longer (if at all) compared to picking up a rental car and driving. Plus the bus costs a mere $1.00! If you decide you need a car, you can rent locally in Torrance for much less than the cost of a rental car from LAX.

Singapore
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Long Beach (LGB) or LAX to Torrance

Hi everyone - I think I'll fly into LAX as the flight times to LAX are more suitable. I'd have to drive 3hours more to get to LV or PHX from the Grand Canyon to fly into Long Beach.

The upside is that by flying into LAX, I arrive earlier and that gives me more time to get through all the baggage handling etc... The shuttle bus is a good option for me and I will see how much savings I have by renting in Torrance - THANKS FOR ALL YOUR INPUT! :)

Singapore
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Long Beach (LGB) or LAX to Torrance

One last question : If my plane arrives LAX at Wednesday 5.30pm, Would I be able to make it to my meeting in Torrance (Del Amo Mall) by 7pm? Bear in mind, I will get a rental car and drive straight there but I fear that it may take me longer than I think due to rush hour traffic.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Long Beach (LGB) or LAX to Torrance

I'd guess that would be cutting it a bit close. If the plane is on time, I think you'd be lucky to get your car and be on the road by 6:15, especially if you will need to collect your baggage. If you could manage to be on the road at 6:15, that would leave you 45 minutes. During rush hour, that's probably cutting it a bit close. I'd try to give yourself more time.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,266 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Long Beach (LGB) or LAX to Torrance

It will take most of 45 minutes to get to the Del Amo Mall heading south during evening work commute times leaving from the car rentals north of Century Blvd.

You said your meeting is near the mall, so if it's closer to LAX, that would be great for you time wise.

Singapore
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Long Beach (LGB) or LAX to Torrance

The meeting is just 2 blocks east of Del Amo Mall. I also managed to book a flight that gets me into LAX by 4.30pm.

(I think I was more restricted by my flights departure, alot of time needed for me to get to the flagstaff airport from the Grandcanyon.)

4.30pm I think thats just about right to get a car and drive to my meeting, with Plan B being the bus to the mall or even a super shuttle.

I'm glad this is worked out - thanks!

Get answers to your questions about Torrance
More Torrance Topics