We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

january drive from Truckee Amtrak station to Hyatt Incline

virginia
Level Contributor
119 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
january drive from Truckee Amtrak station to Hyatt Incline

we are not familiar with snow driving and guess we would have snow in January near Truckee.

It the road to Incline a mountain road or pretty flat so we will not go off the side of a mountan

Although we have reservations at the Hyatt I wonder if we should change them and just stay in Truckee because of the dangerous drive? Please let me know

thanks

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,595 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: january drive from Truckee Amtrak station to Hyatt Incline

I don't feel it's a dangerous drive in snow, we live in SoCal and don't have a lot of snow driving practice.. Sometimes when the guys are skiing at Northstar, my dil and I will drive to Truckee for shopping and lunch. We stay at the Hyatt, and the road is good. They keep it plowed.

Of course we would not do it in a blizzard! Been lucky when we go in Jan.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
21,384 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: january drive from Truckee Amtrak station to Hyatt Incline

You can see the roads via Google street views. I don't remember any extreme drop offs (like Echo Pass in the south.) But the roads are 2 lane country roads and do require your full attention. Just go slow and pay attention. I am assuming you will have a 4WD vehicle?

Long Barn...
Level Contributor
4,717 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: january drive from Truckee Amtrak station to Hyatt Incline

Oh- don't cancel your Hyatt reservation. It is hard to know the road conditions at point in time but they keep that road in good shape. No the drive is not flat. You will take Hwy 267 over Brockway Summit and arrive at Lake Tahoe at Kings Beach and then take Hwy 28 to Incline Village.

If you arrive during a blizzard you still have serveral options to get from the Amtrak station to the Hyatt. You can use North Lake Tahoe transit to the Hyatt or even take a taxi. You can rent a car right at the Hyatt when the weather improves.

The Hyatt is a beatiful hotel and worth any inconvenience to get there.

You are not going off the side of a mountain. Hwy 267 is a good road and has guard rails if that makes you feel better. I have driven this route many times - even in snow storms.

virginia
Level Contributor
119 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: january drive from Truckee Amtrak station to Hyatt Incline

thanks!!!! We could get a cab but it would be nice to have a car

virginia
Level Contributor
119 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: january drive from Truckee Amtrak station to Hyatt Incline

thanks We will request a 4 wheel drive although being a southern girl have never driven one!

virginia
Level Contributor
119 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: january drive from Truckee Amtrak station to Hyatt Incline

thanks!!!

7. Re: january drive from Truckee Amtrak station to Hyatt Incline

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2016, 07:16