We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip along the coast to Ukiah

Which Ukiah hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mount Sinai, New...
Level Contributor
66 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
trip along the coast to Ukiah

We are planning an overnight trip from San Fransico to Ukiah and thought the trip up the coast to rt 253 into Ukiah for the night would be a nice drive.

Planning on going south to Merced the next day, the on to Yosemite.

Any thoughts and "must see" stops on the way with this idea?

Thanks!

21 replies to this topic
Rocklin, California
Level Contributor
647 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: trip along the coast to Ukiah

I'm w/BigDog about 253 being twisty and turny - the best part about that route from Mendocino (spend as much time in that area as possible) to Ukiah is driving 128 between 253 and 1. which is beautiful. If you don't have to stay in Ukiah for a specific reason, I'd stay on 128 to 101 (or if not looking for wineries, do 20 from Mendocino to Willits and Highway 1) and if you want to stop somewhere between Mendocino and Merced (it's about a 5 or 6 hour drive), you could stop somewhere on the 580/205 route, such as around Dublin or Tracy (one end or the other) - not much to do there, but it would be an "overnight" place. Plus, on Labor Day, you would probably be going against the traffic heading home from Yosemite.

Edited: 08 August 2012, 06:43
Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: trip along the coast to Ukiah

We are driving north from Cambria to Santa Rosa. The next day, we want to stay somewhere near Anderson Valley, to visit the wineries and the Redwoods, before heading back to the San Francisco airport. We have seen SF before. Where should we spend the night? The only lodging in Boonville is hundreds of dollars. We have never visited the area.

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,317 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: trip along the coast to Ukiah

Here's a list of Anderson Valley and area lodging:

https://www.navarrowine.com/neighbors/?nt=2

Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: trip along the coast to Ukiah

Thank you so much. I am enjoying reading about all of these places. Planning a trip is half the fun. A friend here in Florida shared a bottle of Navarro wine with me and whetted my appetite for exploring the area. Her son recommended Anderson Valley. He lives in California as does our son, although in different locales. We are all do taking our granddaughters to Alcatraz on this trip.

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,317 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: trip along the coast to Ukiah

Well it sounded like you were bypassing SF this trip. Hopefully you aren't driving from Cambria to Santa Rosa in one day and going to Alcatraz too.

Anderson Valley is pretty neat. Check out the redwoods there. And there is a top craft brewery as well.

http://avbc.com/

If you have other questions you should probably start your own thread.

Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: trip along the coast to Ukiah

We are going to Alcatraz earlier in our trip. We figured one day from Cambria to Santa Rosa, then a day in Anderson Valley.

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,317 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: trip along the coast to Ukiah

That's a pity. You are rushing through one of the most scenic areas of the country (Big Sur) and won't have time for Carmel or Monterey. Make sure you don't get caught in the rush hour traffic between SF and Santa Rosa on weekdays in the afternoon.

Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: trip along the coast to Ukiah

We are staying near Monterey for 5 days with our family. That's when we'll make the day trip to Alcatraz. Then my husband and I are driving down to Cambria, taking a day for that, then heading up tomSanta Rosa and Anderson Valley before flying home, we'll be heading to Santa Rosa on a Sunday.

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,317 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: trip along the coast to Ukiah

OK. That's great news. You will have a wonderful trip!

Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: trip along the coast to Ukiah

Your advice was excellent. We really enjoyed the Anderson Valley wineries, the redwood forest and our overnight stay in a cabin in Elk. Thanks.

Reply to: trip along the coast to Ukiah
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Ukiah