We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it worth it?

Which Vallejo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
salt lake city
Level Contributor
38 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Is it worth it?

Ok I just read some reviews about Six Flags Discovery and I'm worried. We will be vacationing there (Bay Area)July 21-27 and my two daughters want to go to Six Flags. Is it worth it? Many reviewers mentioned about the endless advertising and the disgusting food. Would you want to spend a whole day there? My daughters are 16 and 19. What else is there to do around there? We are spending 2 days in San francisco. Any suggestions??

Is there something better??

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
22,154 posts
5,162 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it worth it?

Well, it depends....

1) Vallejo is next door to Napa. You can go to Six Flags and have dinner in Napa.

2) You can forego Six Flags Discovery and insert instead Safari West

http://www.safariwest.com/

which is a fun few hours...

3) Have they been to Sea World or other such place? If yes, then skipping Six Flags Discovery is indeed a possibility. If no, then it will make for a fun day. There are some nice exhibits, and other things around.

4) If you are saying that you are spending 1 of your 2 days in San Francisco, at Six Flags, definitely there are more fun things to do in San Francisco.

5) I would not worry about the advertising...

6) As for the food at Six Flags, its standard amusement park fair. (i.e. nothing special...higher priced...and no, its not in any way memorable.) That is why some people go to Six Flags and then plan a dinner out at a casual place in Napa - since Napa is "foodie heaven."

Mill Valley/Marin...
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it worth it?

This is a tough one. If your daughters want to go there, it might be worthwhile for them. As an adult, I probably wouldn't want to spend a whole day there. In immediate proximity, there really isn't anything else nearby.

If you only have 2 days in SF, I would spend it in San Francisco - perhaps Golden Gate Park and the new Academy of Sciences, or a trip to Alcatraz, or biking across the Golden Gate Bridge.

Just my opinion.

Have fun.

salt lake city
Level Contributor
38 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it worth it?

Thanks Ann.

They can be easily persuaded to do something else once I tell them of all the not so good reviews of Sx Fgs Disc.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
22,154 posts
5,162 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it worth it?

I just saw your other post about wanting transportation from Walnut Creek.

You can take BART into San Francisco from Walnut Creek,

then take the ferry to Discovery Kingdom

www.baylinkferry.com/pdfs/6FlagsFlyer-08.pdf

Its a fair amount of traveling.....since you are not taking your car.....so I'm a lot more mixed now if its in any way worth itl.

salt lake city
Level Contributor
38 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it worth it?

Thank you for the info. I guess I should clarify that our whole trip is 7 days long. 2 days Walnut Creek area, 2 days San Fran. and 3 days Half Moon Bay/Santa cruz

I will check out your recommended website.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,723 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it worth it?

Look seriously at the Exploratorium in San Francisco.

Yeah, no rides, but kids and grown-ups are known to have to be pried out of here.

http://www.exploratorium.edu/

I know it sounds like "education", but it is truly fascinating and fun.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,723 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it worth it?

EEk....I just realized you only have two days in San Francisco. You do NOT want to spend one of them traveling to Vallejo for Six Flags. Just say NO.

Mill Valley/Marin...
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it worth it?

Dear TND9350 -

Happy to help. And good news. The Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk has a fun old fashioned boardwalk and roller coaster. That will be a lot more charming and fun - you and the girls will have a better experience than Six Flags and you won't waste your SF day.

AnnMV

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,161 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it worth it?

** "What else is there to do around there?" **

In Vallejo? My first choice of things to do there would be to go somewhere else.

** "Is there something better??" **

Lagoon.

I'm with Puter. Santa Cruz will be a better experience for everyone, and it makes perfect sense since you'll be there anyway. It isn't a modern theme park, but an old-fashioned place like Coney Island. Puter,isn't the roller coaster the biggest wooden one in the U.S.?. The buildings are historic, and the atmosphere is really cool. There are even free concerts. Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk fits my image of what the original Saltair may have been like.

Next to the boardwalk is the Santa Cruz Municipal Wharf. It juts out into the ocean half a mile or so, big enough to have parking lots on it. It has restaurants, shops, a fishing pier, displays, and a sea lion colony.

http://www.beachboardwalk.com/

http://www.ci.santa-cruz.ca.us/pr/wharf/

One advantage Santa Cruz has over Six Flags is the beach. You can build a sand castle, take a dip, or just go for a walk in between doing all the other fun things. Puter can also tell you about downtown Santa Cruz, a fun place for teenaged girls and all young people.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,723 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it worth it?

Yes the Boardwalk is great. Lots of rides and good food and free entertainment, as mentioned.

I don't know whether the roller coaster is the oldest wooden one, but it just celebrated its 100th birthday and is a good ride.

A walk down West Cliff Drive leads to Steamer's lane, where you can look over the cliff and watch some skilled surfers at play. The spot is marked by a miniature lighthouse, which is a surfing museum.

Pacific Avenue, downtown Santa Cruz, is a pretty tree-lined street, and a girls' shopping paradise, with more boutiques than I can count, including a very cool Urban Outfitters. It also has lots of restaurants, most of them with sidewalk tables as well as indoor ones.

If it were I, I would skip Vallejo, especially if that was going to be one of your two San Francisco days.

Get answers to your questions about Vallejo