We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help - I'm getting a bit stuck

Which Visalia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Great Harwood...
Level Contributor
97 posts
145 reviews
Save Topic
Please help - I'm getting a bit stuck

Hi, I want to fly to Visalia from San Diego, but I can't find a direct flight. I can find flights to Fresno, but have no idea how to get to my hotel in Visalia from Fresno without it costing a small fortune in a taxi. I am from the UK and don't want to drive, so need public transport options. My travel plans are: Los Angeles- San Diego - Visalia - Las Vegas.

Any help is much appreciated.

Sue

11 replies to this topic
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help - I'm getting a bit stuck

Just curious but why do you want to stay in Visalia in this trip? Is this for a guided tour to Sequoia Kings Canyon NP? Think there's a trainstation in Hanford.

Great Harwood...
Level Contributor
97 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help - I'm getting a bit stuck

Hi Tet14, I thought of Visalia because it has a daily shuttle bus that goes to the park, which means I can be dropped off there and then use the in park busses. I also read that it was the nearest town to the park.

Sue

So Cal
Level Contributor
8,458 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help - I'm getting a bit stuck

Yes, Visalia is the closest substantial town to the park (Three Rivers is closer, but I think you'd call it a hamlet), and it does have the park shuttle, but it's definitely a small town. I'm surprised to learn it even has an airport.

I think Amtrak is your best bet; it'll actually involve a bus and a train. And it turns out Amtrak offers a Sequoia NP holiday package - you'd have to do a bit of research to determine if that's a better value for you than booking all the pieces yourself.

*You could fly to Fresno, then take the train south to Visalia. But I think for this leg you really need to ditch the flying.

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
1,524 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help - I'm getting a bit stuck

Visalia is about 125,000 people with another 60,000 residents in Tulare about 5 miles away. With 185,000 residents the area is more of a small city rather that a small town. Visalia due to its size and location also provides many larger-type regional services for the small towns between Fresno and Bakersfield.

The Visalia airport currently only has flights to LAX (there has been service to SFO and LAS in the past) so a flight from San Diego would require a connection and likely a change of airlines. It would also be fairly high priced at about $250 or more one way.

Amtrak is a good suggestion but will take about about 8 or 9 hours due to the train/bus connections. So the trade-off there is the loss of a full day for the travel.

I'd suggest also considering taking a nonstop San Diego to Fresno flight on Alaska Airlines. Prebook a shuttle/limo/town car service between Fresno and Visalia. Classic Status used to provide that airport shuttle service but I do not know if they still do. www.theclassicstatus.com/equipment.html but there are likely other limo/town car services located in Visalia or Fresno so do a search. I'd make the Fresno/Visalia transportation roundtrip then book a Fresno to Las Vegas flight on either United or Allegiant.

There are tour companies in the Fresno area but they are usually focused on tours to Yosemite not Sequoia simply due to the larger number of visitors. But one of them may have a Sequoia tour out of Fresno, something to investigate.

The Fresno area has been working on shuttles to both Sequoia and Yosemite for visitors. But poor economic conditions the last few years have slowed getting them off the ground. Hopefully in the next year or two they will finally start.

Visalia, CA
Level Contributor
1,382 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help - I'm getting a bit stuck

You can only fly into Visalia from LAX. Your best bet would be to fly to Fresno and get a car service to take you to Visalia. As previously mentioned there is a direct flight on Alaska Air from SD to Fresno. Visalia is about 50 min from the Fresno airport.

Other options would be Greyhound bus or Amtrak. However Amtrak does not go to Visalia. The station is in Hanford, about 20 miles away so you would still need a ride to Visalia.

Santa Clarita...
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please help - I'm getting a bit stuck

The Visalia Shuttle is closed for the season. You will have to call, or check the website later for their starting date.

Great Harwood...
Level Contributor
97 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please help - I'm getting a bit stuck

Thanks for all your guys,

I have decided the best way to go is fly from San Diego to Fresno and find a way of getting from there to Visalia (thanks for the link Fresnofacts) Does anyone know when the Visalia shuttle website opens up again for this season?

Sue

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
1,524 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Please help - I'm getting a bit stuck

The normal Visalia-Sequoia shuttle season is late May to early September. But it also operates on some holiday periods outside that summer season.

For exact dates for 2014 I'd contact them directly. Email to sequoiashuttle@ci.visalia.ca.us, phone 1-877-404-6473, or their Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/SequoiaShuttle.

Seattle
Level Contributor
329 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please help - I'm getting a bit stuck

Have you considered going to Yosemite instead? Then you could totally eliminate the need to travel to Visalia and could fly to L.V. from Fresno.

Great Harwood...
Level Contributor
97 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Please help - I'm getting a bit stuck

I have already been to Yosemite, but missed seeing the sequoia trees, so that's why I am staying in Visalia.

Sue

Reply to: Please help - I'm getting a bit stuck
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Visalia