We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walnut Creek/Concord Hotel close to attractions.

Which Walnut Creek hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Whitsett, North...
3 posts
Save Topic
Walnut Creek/Concord Hotel close to attractions.

My wife and I are visiting for a week the first of October and would like a hotel that is within walking distance of restaurants, shops ect. We will have a rental car but prefer not to have to drive if at all possible. We will be going to the city also, but can drive to a BART station if need be. Thanks in advance for any help!!

8 replies to this topic
Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,082 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walnut Creek/Concord Hotel close to attractions.

The major concentration of shops and restaurants are in or near Broadway Plaza. I don't think there is any hotel that's within walking distance. The closest may be the Marriott, about a mile away.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,164 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walnut Creek/Concord Hotel close to attractions.

There is a BART station as you point out in Walnut Creek and a huge Shopping Mall. What attractions were you thinking of visiting in that area? I presume you are staying there because you have family close by or work related activities.

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,090 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walnut Creek/Concord Hotel close to attractions.

I think the Walnut Creek Marriott fits your criteria. You can walk to downtown,about 3/4 mile away, where there are plenty of very nice restaurants, lots of upscale shopping, and you can walk to the BART station to get into the City. If you need to drive to downtown,parking is sort of OK, except on big shopping weekends. There is both metered parking and parking lots.

The BART station will fill up by 8 am on weekdays. It is 1/2 mile away from the hotel. It takes approx. 40 minutes to downtown SF. (if you stayed in Concord, it would take more like 50 minutes)

The city of Walnut Creek has a free shuttle downtown, which circulates (it looks kind of like a trolley or cable car on wheels), and one of its stops in the BART station.

Parking has a fee attached.

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,090 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walnut Creek/Concord Hotel close to attractions.

To clarify parking: both the hotel and BART have parking fees.

BART: $1

Marriott: $18 valet pkg.

Whitsett, North...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Walnut Creek/Concord Hotel close to attractions.

Thanks for all the responses. We are having a procedure at the John Muir Hospital in Concord. So, it would be nice to have a place to walk around after the procedure, close to shops, restaurants ect...Not married to Walnut Creek, didn't know if anything else might be more applicable to our situation? We will be there for 7 days, so would also like to make a few trips into the city. Hope this helps. We don't have to be right beside the hospital, just close enough if any complications. Thanks again!!

Whitsett, North...
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Walnut Creek/Concord Hotel close to attractions.

Also, we are not adverse to a bed and breakfast or VRBO. But only saw one listed in the area. Thanks again for any help.

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,090 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walnut Creek/Concord Hotel close to attractions.

Of all the cities in the area, Walnut Creek is the nicest and has the most amenities for you. The rest of them are pretty suburban.

It will probably be warm in the first week of October, and could be hot, especially in Concord. If you stroll around downtown Concord to fill time, it's pleasant, and reminds one of a Mexican town, which it started out as...or maybe a Californio town, to be proper. There is a central plaza surrounded by shops and restaurants, a movie complex.

Walnut Creek...
Level Contributor
520 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Walnut Creek/Concord Hotel close to attractions.

"To clarify parking: both the hotel and BART have parking fees.

BART: $1

Marriott: $18 valet pkg."

Just to clarify the above for future reference (I realize that the original poster has already taken her trip): you cannot just park at the BART lot and pay $1. You have to enter the pay gates (i.e. be an actual BART customer). The fee for entering and exiting at the same station is $5.20. Also, Walnut Creek's BART lot is usually full by around 7:30 AM, gets some spaces open at 10 AM (spaces set aside, which are not available until 10 AM), then can be full until people get back from work, around 4:30 PM on week days. Week-end parking or evening parking is easy.

Also, the nearest part of the BART parking lot to the Marriott is about 250 meters away--a fairly long trek if you're hauling a lot of luggage, but doable if you're traveling light. The city's free shuttle will take you from the nearest stop at Pringle and California streets to downtown.

The only hotel which is really within walking distance of downtown is the Diablo Mountain Inn, but this is really a no-frills place, and it's still almost a half mile walk into the heart of downtown.

Reply to: Walnut Creek/Concord Hotel close to attractions.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted