We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

buses around Hollywood

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
29 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
buses around Hollywood

I live in New York City which means I walk everyplace -- don't drive! I want to visit Hollywood and play tourist and take buses everywhere. one of my "must sees" is the Getty Museum -- can you please tell me if there is a bus that goes from Hollywood to the Getty? Any other help on where to find a nice budget hotel in Hollywood walkable to as much as possible would be appreciated.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,700 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: buses around Hollywood

Hi, Silvia.

Take a look at our FAQs area and get oriented. L.A. is more like Westchester County than Manhattan -- lots of different neighborhoods, all spread out and not very tall buildings (for the most).

You can reach the FAQs from the "Top Questions about Los Angeles" box in the upper right corner of this page. The FAQs have a number of sections that you might find helpful:

1. A section on "Local Transportation" that will show you specific bus and metro rail (subway) routes between any 2 points.

2. A section called "itinerary Ideas"

3. A section on transfer options between your hotel and the airport.

4. An overview of the popular neighborhoods

You've posted in the West Hollywood section, I am guessing, because you were looking for a Hollywood Forum and didn't find one. The reason is this:

Hollywood is a NEIGHBORHOOD in the city of L.A. (like Greenwich Village is a neighborhood in NY). As such, Trip Advisor doesn't give it a FORUM (only cities get those). West Hollywood, on the other hand, is a tiny city that is (surprise!) just west of Hollywood so it gets its own Forum. In general, though, you'll get more responses if you post in the Los Angeles Forum.

Re: the Getty, there are actually 2 museums with that name:

1. The Getty Center (modern art)

2. The Getty Villa (ancient art).

I'm a big fan of the latter -- not so much of the former.

Each of these museums is at the top of a different hill -- both are on the west side of L.A.: the Center is in Brentwood (a westside neighborhood in L.A.), the Villa is on the border of Pacific Palisades (a coastal neighborhood in L.A.) and Malibu (a city of its own).

By public transit, they will take some time to reach, depending, of course on the neighborhood you pick for your hotel. Our tourist attractions are extremely spread out so it's often difficult to stay near every attraction that you want to visit.

It's helpful if you can be as specific as possible in your postings. If you look in the FAQs, you'll find a link at the top of it that deals with 'posting effectively'. There, you will get hints on what to include when you post. For example, you've asked for a 'budget hotel' but 'budget hotel' means different things to different people. Instead, tell us how much you're comfortable spending. The closer you are to 'the action' of our city (nightlife, etc), the more expensive the hotels. You can save a lot by staying 'outside of the city' but you'll spend a lot of time on buses and trains. So, tell us how much you're comfortable spending per night: $50, $100, $150? and, most importantly, the specific dates of your visit (since hotel rates vary from season to season and between weekdays and weekends).

You've said the word "I" in your posting, does that mean you're traveling alone? (It might sound silly but people post with "I" and then tell us that they have a spouse and 2 kids). So, tell us how many of you are traveling as this will help us point you to a hotel.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
29 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: buses around Hollywood

thank you so much for your detailed & helpful response. I will be traveling alone. I'm planning on late April/early May for my CA trip -- at least a week, maybe a few extra days I am a fiction writer & photographer, not looking for anything fancy to stay in, a budget hotel is just fine -- $100 tops. I have friends & relatives in Manhattan Beach & Huntington Beach who I will visit -- they have offered to come pick me up -- but I prefer staying on my own. When I said "Getty" i was thinking Getty Art Center. Didn't realize there was a Getty ancient art spot -- that sounds good, too. Your response mentions Greenwich Village -- that's where I live in NYC. I walk everywhere. Thx for your help -- I will keep clicking round -- have whittled it down to Holltywood or West Hollywood but I think Hollywood would be more fun (and more walkable).

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,700 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: buses around Hollywood

Hollywood is an older part of our city and is more of a neighborhood, e.g. stores selling pizza slices, movie theaters, etc. West Hollywood is a nightlife area with hotels, restaurants, bars, live music venues and a sprinkling of boutique shopping. More modern than Hollywood and prettier. It's also more expensive than Hollywood.

The Getty's (both of them) are kind of a pain to reach by public transit. In addition to the 3 buses you'd need to take to reach the Getty Center (or Getty Villa), you have to ride a train from the parking area of the Getty Center 'up the hill' to the museum and a van 'up the hill' from the parking area of the Getty Villa to the museum. I suggest having one of your friends drive you to one of these. If you opt for the Getty Villa, you can have lunch in Malibu overlooking the Pacific. Lots of dining options in and around the Getty Villa in all price ranges.

You might also consider staying in Westwood on the west side of L.A.

Westwood (or 'Westwood Village' as it's sometimes called) has a feeling somewhat similar to Greenwich Village but it's quite compact. Here are some advantages:

1. Express bus to/from LAX to Westwood for $10.

2. Frequent, Express buses to Santa Monica from Westwood (20 minutes).

3. Frequent Express buses to Beverly HIlls from Westwood (8 minutes).

4. Frequent buses to West Hollywood/Hollywood from Westwood (30/40 minutes).

5. Bus to the Getty Center (8 minutes).

6. Lots of shops, restaurants and a few bars in Westwood.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
29 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: buses around Hollywood

thank you so much for taking the time to write such a detailed and helpful guide. You answered just about every question I had. I do have friends & relatives in Manhattan Beach and Huntington Beach and I know they'd be happy to drive me to Getty Center but I'm one of those who loves to go to museums alone so I can take all the time I need meandering, strolling & dreaming -- and then I want to sit down and write (I am a fiction writer) about the flood of feelings I am filled with --who wants to put up with that!!!

While I certainly understand the appeal of West Hollywood, Hollywood is what grabs me; I like "older", raggedy, sidewalks, shadows, edgy, ghosts of legends past. Can't believe I've been to India, Nepal, China, Russia, Israel, Turkey and most of western Europe . . . but never to Hollywood. I am such a movie buff & such a romantic -- I must see Hollywood. I must go to sleep there & wake up there!! So I may have to forego visiting Getty on my terms and be grateful for a ride even if it means a shorter version. But Hollywood is what intrigues and that will be my destination!

Thank you so much for your kind help.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,700 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: buses around Hollywood

I don't blame you. Hollywood, it is. FYI, $100 per night is at the low end of the hotel price range -- even for Hollywood. Remember: there's a 15% 'room tax' applied to each room so $100 per night really means about $87 per night (room rate) and that means one of the following:

1. A basic '2 star' motel-type property

2. If you're lucky, a deal on a 3-star property via Hotwire.com or the 'name your own' price feature on Priceline.com

I don't see anything listed on these services, as yet, but check back later.

The Travelodge Motel on the corner of Sunset Bl & Vermont Av (5 minutes from central Hollywood via metro rail) is offering rooms in Mar/Apr for $85 (plus 'room tax') via Hotels.com.

The Best Western Hollywood Hills Hotel (3-stars!) is being offered at a great discount by Booking.com for only $103 per night (plus room tax and a $5 'service charge'). This hotel is in a great little area just north of the eastern end of the Hollywood Walk of Fame. In addition to easy access to central Hollywood, there's a little neighborhood to the east of the hotel with some great restaurants with outside dining -- from Italian to French to 'a sit-down chicken place'. These (and others) are across the street from the Scientology Celebrity Center -- a building with a great history and marvelous architecture.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
29 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: buses around Hollywood

two stars is good enough for me. As long as it's clean and safe. I've been in deluxe hotels brimming with perks but if they were in the middle of nowhere and lacked character, lacked guts, lacked color -- they weren't much use to me. I have had good luck with Priceline -- got a great deal in San Francisco. So maybe I'll try them. Your suggestions are most welcome, tho, and I will do a little research on them. And the Scientology Celebrity Center sounds awesome -- just the name makes me want to get on a plane Right Now!!!

Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,693 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: buses around Hollywood

From Hollywood to the Getty Center (museum) is a two bus ride. You take the 2 Sunset bus westbound to LeConte Avenue and Westwood Plaza by the UCLA campus. You then take the 761 bus northbound to the entrance to the Getty Center. You ride the tram up the hill free, people parking pay $15.

If you start at Sunset & Highland (the Kodak Theatre is a couple blocks away at Hollywood & Highland), it's about a 35 minute ride to Westwood. From there it's about a 20 minute ride up to the Getty.

The Getty is famous and is a spectacular work of architecture, but IMHO the Los Angeles County Museum of Art is superior as an actual art museum, with strong collections in numerous areas. You can get there (near the intersection of Wilshire Blvd. & Fairfax Ave.) with a one seat ride from Hollywood, on the 217 or 780 bus.

The Travelodge Sunset/Vermont is a little farther east, so farther away from West Hollywood and Westwood. But it is a good budget motel, right by a Red Line subway station, and easy walking distance to lots of interesting streets (though immediately across the street you'll find hospitals).

You might enjoy a visit to the Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood, a beautifully restored historic cinema (and part of "American Cinematheque). It has lots of interesting programming, including a recurring film about the history of Hollywood. It's walking distance from any hotel/motel between Vine and La Brea, a short subway ride from Vermont/Sunset.

Edited: 14 December 2011, 04:46
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
29 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: buses around Hollywood

@ wanderer: thank you! glad to know there is a two bus ride to the Getty. I suppose it really is the architectural magic that draws me to see it and not its value as an actual art museum. Yet it seems a shame to come to LA and not see the Getty. Thanks to you, I will now add the LA County Museum of Art and the Egyptian Theater.to my list.

You have all helped me so much. Seems my friends who live in LA all drive and have no clue about buses! So thank you all . . .

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,700 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: buses around Hollywood

I'll add two more small museums to the list. On the way to the Getty, there are 2 museums in Westwood of note. The first is the Hammer Museum. The bus stop for the #761 bus to the Getty pulls up on the west of side of this museum. Armand Hammer's impressive 19th Century collection is the centerpoint of the museum (along with some stunning older pieces that he amassed); there are 3 additional 'rotating galleries' that typically feature the works of contemporary/burgeoning artists.

A few blocks north of the Museum (just walk up Westwood Blvd and enter the campus of UCLA) is the Fowler Museum whose collection focuses on pieces from parts of the world not typically seen in American Art Museums, e.g. South America, Africa, the Pacific Islands. Admission is free. The walk between the 2 museums will take a solid 20 minutes or you can jump on the northbound "Santa Monica #12 bus" which will drop you at the corner of Westwood Plaza (the northern extension of Westwood Bl) & Strathmore Place. The ride will take about 5 minutes and the fare is $1. (Note: the #12 runs only once every 30 minutes, so, in some cases, it's faster to walk rather than wait).

At the above bus stop, get off and continue walking in the same direction as the bus has been traveling. Westwood Plaza will end but there will be a wide concrete walkway that continues past the Ackerman Student Union (on your right), the Student Activities Center, then a large grassy area on the right, after which the Fowler will be just ahead on the right.

Here's the walking (or bus) route from the west side of the Hammer Museum to the Strathmore/Westwood bus stop on the UCLA campus. The mapping program won't show the second half of the route (ending at the Fowler) since the roads on campus aren't public ones but you can click-drag-hold the map and move it downward (don't click ON either the "A" or B" or ON the blue line -- click anywhere else.

Once you've moved the map down a little, you can zoom in with the "+" sign at the right side of the map and you'll see the Fowler above and to the right of the Student Activities Center. The UCLA campus is quite a photogenic place, btw so give yourself some time to wander.

One last site in L.A. that might interest you is the Barnsdall Art Park:

http://barnsdallartpark.com/

In spite of a less than impressive website (above), the Park is an amazing place -- both for the presence of Frank Lloyd Wright's Hollyhock House (tours are available) and the little-known Los Angeles Municipal Art Gallery (also free and easily seen in 30 minutes) but for the spectacular views of the surrounding city including views of the Hollywood sign and the Griffith Observatory.

The museum's parking lot entrance is on Hollywood Bl just west of Vermont Av. You must ascend the large staircase to this hilltop museum. To get there, you can take any bus on Hollywood Bl or the red line metro rail (which will drop you on the corner of Sunset Bl & Vermont Av (about an 8-minute walk from the museum).

Here's a map showing:

1. The center of Hollywood (corner of Hollywood Bl & Highland Av) -- marked "A"

2. The BW Hollywood HIlls Hotel I mentioned above -- marked "B"

Barnsdall Park

3. Barnsdall Art Park -- marked "C"

4. The Travelodge Motel I mentioned above -- marked "D".

http://mapq.st/tmpTh7

Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,693 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: buses around Hollywood

Good calls, all of those.