We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Melbourne, Australia
7 posts
Save Topic
West Hollywood

Hi, 3 friends looking for roomy accommodation in trendy location. Ideally no more than $300 p/n. done the touristy thing last trip, wanting a more local experience this time. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,518 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: West Hollywood

Welcome to the Forum, Daxie.

What are your exact travel dates? How many beds do you need (and their size)? Will you have a car? Most hotels in West Hollywood charge for parking ($20-$40 per night). There is also 'room tax' of about 15% added to all rooms so, at $300 per night, when you subtract the parking (let's call it $30) and the tax, you're left with a 'room rate' of about $235. BTW, there are no practical options for parking overnight in West Hollywood other than at your hotel.

Have you looked at the hotel's section of Tripadvisor for West Hollywood. Here's a link to those hotels (ranked in order of traveler preference):

Link and SCROLL DOWN for the hotel list. Click 'check prices' for competing offers on these hotels:

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g33252-West_Hollywood…

As someone who lives in West Hollywood, I can tell you that there are plenty of tourists on the Sunset Strip (which is lined with hotels, restaurants, bars, live music venues, etc) -- as well as local people.

If you want a more 'local experience', stay in Beverly Grove (just south of West Hollywood and just east of Beverly Hills. Here's a list of hotels in that area (link and SCROLL DOWN below the map for the list):

http://tinyurl.com/a6tk9kv

Note: the 2 southernmost properties are a little bit of a walk from shops and dining so it's best to have a car if you stay at one of these.

It's helpful if you include your country of residence with your screenname so we can customize our responses to you. To add this info, edit 'my tripadvisor' at the top of the page and edit your profile.

Edited: 09 December 2012, 00:56
Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
28,721 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: West Hollywood

Where did you stay last time? Will you have a car this time?

I highly recommend Santa Monica, look into The Shore hotel or Embassy Apartment Hotel (for a real local's experience).

Melbourne, Australia
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: West Hollywood

Hello!

Thank you for all your info. We will not have a car. We are happy to walk or cab. We are from Australia and are staying June 1 to 6. Last time we stayed in Hollywood at the lowes.

We will look into beverly grove

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,518 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: West Hollywood

If you don't wish to hire a car, then you should first decide what specific sites you'll be visiting and then pick a neighborhood that's convenient to those sites using public transit.

Beverly Grove is fairly central in our metro area but it pays to design your itinerary first, then pick the neighborhood for your hotel, then select your hotel -- unless, of course, you're willing to take taxis every once in a while (which can get expensive).

If you edit your profile (under 'my tripadvisor' at the top of this page) and enter "Australia" or your city of Residence, you won't need to mention it each time you post.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,659 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: West Hollywood

If you won't have a car, I'd consider the Downtown Los Angeles area. It is very trendy right now with several of its neighborhoods being quite hot. It also has great transportation options.

The hot areas of Downtown are Little Tokyo, South Park (LA Live area) and Historic Downtown (Broadway area).

There is no such area as "Beverly Grove". It was a phrase coined by realtors a few years back to make the Fairfax District sound ritzier. The Grove Mall (where Beverly Grove ostensibly gets its name) is actually in the Fairfax District. There are a couple of good restaurants in the area, but the transportation is not as good as Hollywood or Downtown.

Melbourne, Australia
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: West Hollywood

Hello!

Thank you for all your info. We have been a LA a few times before. We have done all the touristy things before. What we want to experience is the west Hollywood area. The local hang outs, bars,cafes, shopping and restaurants. Maybe even a little celebrity spotting. We want to relax at a bar after shopping and people watch. That's the sort of tips we are after.

Thanks for ur help guys

Edited: 09 December 2012, 06:06
West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,518 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: West Hollywood

The Fairfax District and Beverly Grove are different neighborhoods. I live a mile from Beverly Grove.

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: West Hollywood

Hi

I have just seen your posting dated Dec 12. This is exactly what I want to do this year (2013). Have you been yet and did you find the perfect place in West Hollywood. I would like to know where.

Thanks Susan

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,659 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: West Hollywood

All the same information the original poster was given is still valid.

If you don't plan on renting a car West Hollywood is not as good a location as Hollywood and Downtown LA for getting around... really not as good.

And there is still no such place as Beverly Grove :)

…wikipedia.org/wiki/…_Los_Angeles

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,518 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: West Hollywood

Beverly Grove is alive and well. I live within a mile of it. Maybe Wikipedia isn't aware of it, but they also don't know what I had for dinner. (That doesn't mean I didn't eat dinner). The purpose of this forum is to provide PERSONAL EXPERIENCES. Anyone can look up incomplete, out of date and inaccurate postings on the internet.

Yes, the district 'Beverly Grove' was coined by a couple of agents a few years ago. So, what? The "Sunset Strip" which is not an 'official neighborhood' in West Hollywood was coined by nightclub owners in the 1960s.

Here's some links that might be helpful to the non-believer out there:

…latimes.com/mapping-la/…

http://www.beverlygrove.org/

http://lagroveliving.com/tag/beverly-grove/

Beverly Grove is alive and well!