We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The London, Sunset Marquis or Chamberlain...Can't decide...

Los Gatos...
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
The London, Sunset Marquis or Chamberlain...Can't decide...

My husband and I are going to LA for a long overdue get away!!! I can't decide between the three hotels! The reviews are sooo mixed. Some things we are hoping to find:

-We do hate to hear our neighbors, which I am sure is the same with most travelers, I am a light sleeper.

-A run down hotel is not what we are looking for either, especially when you are paying $400 a night.

-We would like a cool vibe, but not a hotel over run with 20 something partiers that go on till all hours of the night.

I like the sound of the Marquis because of the history, etc. I love the decor of the London, it seems newer and swanky. The chamberlain looks like a cool vibe as well.

We will have our own car so having to drive to isn't a big deal as we have lots of sight seeing on our agenda.

Any information would be GREATLY appreciated.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,532 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The London, Sunset Marquis or Chamberlain...Can't decide...

The hotels are very different from one another:

1. The London is a 'big box' 5-star with 200 rooms and suites, fine dining, bar, business center, gym, and a rooftop pool with views. The hotel is steps from the action of the Sunset Strip. Trip Advisor reviewers give it a 'sleep quality' rating of 4-1/2 circles out of a possible 5.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g33252-d82607-R…

2 The Sunset Marquis is a 4-1/2 star property with 152 suites and villas spread out over extensive grounds that are gated, providing a cloistered feel to the property. There are 2 pools, a spa, fine dining/bar, fitness center and business center. The hotel is also 'just off the Sunset Strip'. The sleep quality is also rated 4-1/2.

3. The Chamberlain is a 114-room 4-star 'boutique' hotel formerly an apartment building so rooms have kitchens in them. There is a rooftop pool. The property is located in a quiet residential neighborhood, closer to Santa Monica Bl than to the Sunset Strip and whereas the distance to the Strip isn't far, it's up a steep hill (huff! huff!) that would take 10 or more minutes to climb. (You could take an alternate route but that would take longer and put you closer to the western end of the Strip). Of course, taxis are plentiful and would take just a few minutes. There are other dining options near the hotel, however. Sleep quality is also 4-1/2. You're not going to see much in the way of 20-somethings here but the place does have a nice feel to it.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g33252-d111767-…

Your choice!

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
28,743 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The London, Sunset Marquis or Chamberlain...Can't decide...

I absolutely love the Sunset Marquis, it's like a little oasis in the middle of the city.

London is very hip, very trendy, has a new shiny feel to it. Chamberlain is quiet. Did you consider the Petit Ermitage?

Los Gatos...
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The London, Sunset Marquis or Chamberlain...Can't decide...

I am leaning towards the London! We will have our car so transportation isn't a concern. But, I am intrigued by the old hollywood history of the Marquis.

Do you have any opinion on the Sofitel Bevely Hills?

I really appreciate all your advice.

4. Re: The London, Sunset Marquis or Chamberlain...Can't decide...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 May 2015, 06:16