We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ski School Proximity: Charter or Elkhorn Lodge?

Which Beaver Creek hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey
Level Contributor
185 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Ski School Proximity: Charter or Elkhorn Lodge?

Hi, we were in Beaver Creek once a couple years ago. I wish I remembered more! We stayed at St. James. Though I realize it gets mostly good reviews, our room was dumpy, service was bad and I don't really want to return. Of the charter or elkhorn, which is closer to ski school? 3 kids under 10 skiing, two are early intermediates, one is a true beginner. Elkhorn Lodge bills itself as ski in/ski out but upon further research, I don't think so -- not with young children.

Is Charter any better? Is it any closer? Both say they are in Beaver Creek Village, I sort of remember St. James as being the "end of line" in terms of being in the village itself. Love the Hyatt but their "residences" are a little pricey during peak periods. I am also open to other ideas, involving easy "commutes" to ski school. Many thanks!

Vail, Colorado
Level Contributor
892 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ski School Proximity: Charter or Elkhorn Lodge?

The Charter is more of a "full service" property - shuttle bus, restaurants, hot tubs, spas, 24 hour front desk, etc. Regardless of either of these (they are both nice) you'll want to shuttle to the ski school (you can walk or ski....but easier to shuttle with the kids).

Vail,CO
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ski School Proximity: Charter or Elkhorn Lodge?

Try Highlands area (highlands Lodge, Highlands Westview, Slopeside, Kiva) if you want to be closer to ski school.

St. James went through a $6 million renovation and is a great "on the plaza" location. Charter is a HUGE facility> miles of hallways! Elkhorn would be the best as far as quality, Charter for amenities, but if you want close to ski school, see if you can get anything in the Highlands area. Call East West Resorts: 970-949-5071

3. Re: Ski School Proximity: Charter or Elkhorn Lodge?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 December 2010, 10:10
New York, NY
Level Contributor
13 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ski School Proximity: Charter or Elkhorn Lodge?

We just returned from a stay at Charter. We were a party of 5 including my two daughters, ages 7 and 10. I highly recommend the Charter for kids. We rented a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom condo which was the perfect size for our group. The buffet breakfast was a great, easy start to our days. They offered cereal, oatmeal, waffles, etc., all of which the kids enjoyed. We left the Charter around 8am each morning and caught the first or second shuttle to ski school. Very easy as it's about a 6 minute ride. We got off at the first stop and walked past the ice skating rink to the ski school. The kids rented their equipment and stored it at the ski school overnight for free so didn't have to worry about lugging that stuff around each morning and evening.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
185 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ski School Proximity: Charter or Elkhorn Lodge?

belated thanks to all of you for your thoughtful replies. sounds like taking the shuttle, rather than being walking distance, is not a big deal so i will likely stay put. the properties mentioned have no availability in the size we need or are considerably more expensive than what we reserved at elkhorn in october.

pearlvision, did your kids rent skis at the school itself or just store their own skis there? a few yrs ago we rented at a store on the plaza and the store kept them for us overnight, but it would be great just to leave them at school!

6. Re: Ski School Proximity: Charter or Elkhorn Lodge?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 July 2011, 07:17
Get answers to your questions about Beaver Creek