We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How's the snow and driving advice

Gold Coast Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
How's the snow and driving advice

Have been watching and reading about the ordinary snowfalls so far this year. Have fingers crossed that by early Feb things would have improved somewhat. Family of 4 will be staying at Avon to ski and snowboard at Beaver Creek for the first time. Reviews at the moment are not good! Any advice about what runs to do/avoid, etc if everything is as crusty or icy as people are suggesting?

Another question-we were planning to drive from Denver to Avon based on advice from some friends and hiring a 4WD to tour around Denver/Boulder and then to Avon and maybe to Vail for a day trip. Am having second thoughts when reading about black ice and the like.....is it that bad?

Your views would be greatly appreciated on both topics!

Mentioned in this post
Avon
Avon
Beaver Creek, CO
Denver
Denver
Colorado
Boulder
Boulder
Colorado
Vail
Vail
Colorado
Aspen, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,517 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How's the snow and driving advice

Feb is a long way off to give advice on which runs to do or avoid. Check grooming report as you near dates and when there.

one.prance.com/php/iPrance/BeaverCreek/

With a 4wd you'll be fine if you drive sensibly. I've driven a 2w front drive in the worst of CO conditions and lived to tell about it.

Gold Coast Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How's the snow and driving advice

Will definitely check the reports as we get closer. I was planning on reminding the better half that advice anyway! Lol !

thanks for taking the time! Cheers.

Vail,CO
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How's the snow and driving advice

In typical years we get the majority of our snow in Feb/March. This year, who knows! I have lived here over 30 years and it has never been like this! Thank goodness we have an extensive snowmaking system or we'd be skiing on dirt & rocks! The snow the past 2 years was just over- the- top phenominal, we all got spoiled! This year? Oh boy! Not good.

Best advise about driving: do NOT come up from Denver on Friday eve or Sat morning. It can be bumper to bumper and take you twice as long. The day skiers come up from Denver. Also, Do NOT head into the mountains if there is a severe weather warning. It may be sunny in Denver/Boulder and an awful BLIZZARD just up the mountain. Wait it out, come up the next day.

Pray for snow!

Mentioned in this post
Denver
Denver
Colorado
Boulder
Boulder
Colorado
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
67 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How's the snow and driving advice

It has been snowing all day today! I was pretty happy with the conditions this afternoon!! As I am used to Australian conditions my judgement of snow conditions may differ from Colorado locals!

Edited: 08 January 2012, 03:21
Mentioned in this post
Colorado
Colorado
United States
Gold Coast Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How's the snow and driving advice

Hey Adelaide65!

Hubby is down in the dumps with all of the non news of snow...A long way to go to get similar or worse conditions then here in Oz! I'm like you though...I reckon I'd be happy with anything in BC! Just being that high and being in another country will do me! Get me out of the 30 plus degree celsius heat!

Maybe the concern about driving conditions is a non event!

We arrive in Avon on 4 Feb...so hopefully, those long range forecasters have got it right and there's been a couple of good dumps to really build up the base.

I continue to do the snow dance and praying as per Vailrealtor's suggestion! Continue enjoying your holiday!

Mentioned in this post
Avon
Avon
Beaver Creek, CO
6. Re: How's the snow and driving advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 January 2013, 10:18