We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

village or not?

Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
7 posts
132 reviews
Save Topic
village or not?

I am coming to BC in March and love the way the Westin looks but am intimidated by the location. The Park Hyatt looks amazing but not affordable or practical for my family of 5. I don't want to be in Bachelor Gulch as we need ski school for the kids and if I"m taking a shuttle, I would rather do the Westin. Is there anything in the village that has the luxury the Hyatt offers without the high price tag? Beaver Creek Lodge? St James? I love a terry robe and a white duvet down comforter.....not the floral blankets and dated decor I'm seeing in some of the condos. Please help!

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,954 posts
413 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: village or not?

Nothing else in the village matches the Hyatt for location and quality. For sure stay away from Bachelor Gulch - really remote and hotel service is awful. I've stayed in just about all the major places. Hyatt and Westin are definitely tops. You do sacrifice a bit of convenience with Westin, but in the end it's reasonably easy to get up the hill. You're also giving up the walking to dinner, but there are some places in Avon and Edwards but a car helps.

About the only other place in the village itself I would recommend is the recently renovated Osprey. Another favorite of mine is The Pines, but's a bit outside the village but still walking distance. Beaver Creek Lodge, St. James, etc. not in league of Hyatt.

Have fun.

Vail, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Vail
Level Contributor
1,342 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: village or not?

You might take a look at the Charter, it 's very family friendly and has some large condos to spread out in. It's not as perfectly located as the Hyatt, but the ski shuttle runs every few minutes to bring you up to the slopes and Charter Sports is located right in the hotel for rentals.

Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
7 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: village or not?

Thanks so much. I guess we'll stay at the Westin and use our car to drive up to ski school. I'd rather pay the $30 parking then be at a mediocre spot.

Vail,CO
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: village or not?

How old are your children? The younger they are, the closer you need to be! (IMO!) There is only one "hotel" in Beaver Creek per se, everything else is condo, all indidvdually owned so they can vary greatly, and of course, the Hyatt is the only one with a spa (thus even needing big terry robes) If you can get over needing a spa, you might want to check into places like The Chateau, The Osprey, McCoy Peak Lodge, VRBO.com... What you'll save in parking fees & hassles, having a kitchen to at LEAST have breakfast for the kids each morning (breakfast is stupidly EXPENSIVE here) will probably make up the difference in costs. The Westin, although lovely, is too far away from ski school (again, my opinion) Beaver Creek is such a family-friendly village, it would be a shame not to be here> plus the fact that you'd be schlepping back & forth constantly. Try to stay up in the Village. When making a reservation, always request a PLATINUM rated unit. Hope this helps!

Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
7 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: village or not?

I think the Osprey is only rooms not condos.....I looked at Post Montane, Market Square, Hyatt Mountain Lodge, and Beaver Creek Lodge to name a few. They all look so mediocre with floral linens. It's basically someone's condo managed by the building and I'm picky when it comes to that! I like the crisp white, clean linens with duvet covers, etc. I know it sounds spoiled, but I want to feel comfortable. I will check the other places you suggested. Thanks!

Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
7 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: village or not?

My kids are 11, 8 and 6

Manhattan Beach...
Level Contributor
38 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: village or not?

The Poste Montane is great! Clean, nice crisp white sheets, great bfast included. We had a great trip here with our 2 boys!

Central, Illinois
Level Contributor
135 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: village or not?

We enjoyed a condo (#17) in Village Hall (aka Ford Hall) which is right next to the Park Hyatt and got a 10% discount from East-West Resorts. The condo was literally steps from Centennial lift and included use of the amenities of the Park Hyatt too, though we didn't use it much. Although the decor was somewhat dated, the unit was still in very good shape and had all the room we needed. Service is provided by Park Hyatt too so anything we wanted/needed was just one phone call away.

9. Re: village or not?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 April 2013, 10:19