We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ski school vs private lessons

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
51 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Ski school vs private lessons

Family of three. Brand new teen skier and two parents with minimal experience. We're debating a one day group class vs private instructor. As new skiers, will the extra attention be worth the extra cost?

Vail,CO
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ski school vs private lessons

YES! You will learn much faster with the 1 on 1 attention with a private instructor.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
6,154 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ski school vs private lessons

Private lessons are definitely worth the extra cost. Considering the cost of travel, lodging and lift tickets at Beaver Creek, the extra price of a private lesson seems minimal when you consider skiing the central focus of your visit. Group lessons are great for young kids (monkey see monkey do) but the one on one attention of private instruction is well worth the extra cost for teens and adults.

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
51 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ski school vs private lessons

Thanks -- I wasn't sure if we needed more experience before booking a private instructor for the day. Any other tips you'd pass on to make the lesson better?

Aspen, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,334 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ski school vs private lessons

Make sure you know the proper way to get up when you fall. That you will do.

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
51 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ski school vs private lessons

Super size bottle of Aleve will be in the bag!!!

Edited: 22 February 2012, 02:14
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
6,154 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ski school vs private lessons

Good point texranger.

Your instructor is going to be more than happy to let you take your time and sort yourself out after you fall. Just remember how much you're paying per hour (or per minute) for the lesson. It might motivate you to get back up a little quicker.

Sadly, in group lessons with beginners, instructors often sort people out in the morning based on how quickly they get up after then fall. While people generally enjoy their lesson regardless of what group they're with, the winners (i.e. those who get up quickly) typically get much more out of their lesson while those slower to get up spend much more time riding the magic carpet.

Silsbee, TX
Level Contributor
50 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ski school vs private lessons

Book your private lesson through Keystone to be done at Beaver Creek and it will save you some $. We always do a private and have seen tons of improvement.

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
51 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ski school vs private lessons

How does that work?

Central, Illinois
Level Contributor
135 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ski school vs private lessons

I was disappointed in the kid's ski school at Beaver Creek compared to Keystone and Steamboat. Not as well organized, late to leave for lesson time and early to return on two of the three days, and mishandling of the daily lesson tickets which required me to spend time on the phone and having to miss some of my time on the slopes .

Maybe this was an anomaly, but Keystone is tops, in my experience, followed closely by Steamboat for kids ski school.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,312 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ski school vs private lessons

I would do one day in a group lesson to get some of the basics and have fun, then do a private lesson. Many kids do better getting started when their parents aren't around, in my experience. Not that I'm a ski expert, but have quite a few skiers amongst my family and friends.

Edited: 07 March 2012, 15:16