We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting with 11 week old baby.

Which Beaver Creek hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Leeds, United...
6 posts
Save Topic
Visiting with 11 week old baby.

Hi all

I'm really worrying about a holiday we have booked to Beaver Creek soon with our young baby.

Firstly what is the weather like mid march? Also will she be ok with the altitude? We'll be driving from Denver to Beaver Creek, will the road be ok? So many worries! The trip is due to a family wedding, we're travelling from England.

Thanks, any information greatly appreciated. :-)

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,719 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting with 11 week old baby.

Hi Sarah H. I am sorry but there is not anyone here that can answer those questions. You should talk with your babies doctor about altitude. Mid March weather could be anything, sunny and warm or cold and snowy. Typically the roads are fine, most of the time but they can snow packed and icy if we have a big storm. Since you are worried I'd go with a shuttle service like http://www.coloradomountainexpress.com/

I know this is of little help.

Leeds, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting with 11 week old baby.

I just mean in general re the altitude, my baby has no health concerns but wondered if the area was suitable for young babies.

Thanks

Edited: 03 March 2014, 21:54
Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,281 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting with 11 week old baby.

Well, lots of babies live in CO and many live full time at high altitudes. So, there are no real concerns about that except for the fact that you all are coming from a much lower altitude and will have to adjust to the change. Here's a link to some info you might find helpful. babycenter.com/404_is-it-safe-to-travel-at-h…

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,719 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting with 11 week old baby.

Sarah H it is impossible to know who will have trouble with altitude. That said Beaver Creek is not all that high at the base so I think you and the baby will be fine. If you are really worried you could think about staying a night in Denver to acclimate.

Be sure to report back. It is the type of question we often get.

Leeds, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting with 11 week old baby.

We are staying a night in Denver to acclimatise so fingers crossed. I will of course let you know. :-)

Leeds, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting with 11 week old baby.

Just out of interest what is the altitude at base? Keep reading conflicting information. Thanks

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
9,884 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting with 11 week old baby.

According to the BC website, the base altitude is 7,400'--but you will have to go over the Vail Pass (altitude 10, 600') to get there.

Leeds, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting with 11 week old baby.

I know, I'm hoping as we're not at over 10,000 feet too long we'll be ok. Thanks

Beaver Creek...
Level Contributor
74 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting with 11 week old baby.

you will be around 8000 most of the time you are in the Beaver Creek Village area

Here is Beaver Creek by the numbers

BEAVER CREEK RESORT

BY THE #’S

Mountain Hours of Operation

8:30 am - 3:30 pm

Beaver Creek Village

8:30 am - 7:00 pm

Base Elevation

8,100 ft. / 2,469 m

Summit Elevation

11,440 ft. / 3,488 m

Longest Run Centennial

2¾ miles

Ski Season Dates

Nov 27th - April 20th

Leeds, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Visiting with 11 week old baby.

She was fine! The dry is really dry out there isn't it! I think her cough got a little worse, maybe a bit tickly, but she already had that. All in all no worries at all, stayed at around 7,800 feet in eagle vail.