We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

El Nino Year 2006/07? Does Anyone Understand Impact?!

Which Beaver Creek hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
117 posts
1 review
Save Topic
El Nino Year 2006/07? Does Anyone Understand Impact?!

I understand from news weather reports that 2006/07 is likely to be an El Nino year. Being from UK I have not experienced this phenomenon but I believe it affects US/Canadian ski resorts due to warmer temperatures. Does this phenomenon usually affect the US Rocky resorts of Beaver Creek and Vail?

Any help in understanding this would be very useful cos I'm confused!

Colorado
Level Contributor
443 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: El Nino Year 2006/07? Does Anyone Understand Impact?!

It can, but I think best anyone can do this early is a good guess. Here's the best info I've found so far (This is from Copper Mountain's weather forecast link):

WINTER OUTLOOK: Regarding this winter, we have a developing El Nino sea surface temperature pattern in the Pacific. The latest (Sep 13th) is that we may see a moderate El Nino SST pattern this winter. We expect the following this winter; A good shot at seeing more snowfall than average for southern Colorado, and less snowfall than average for northern Colorado...in general. We do think winter will start off with a bang though, with possibly more snowfall than usual through December. Many times in an El Nino pattern, we are also dealing with snow levels being a bit high on average as the moisture source is usually subtropical, but this is rarely an issue for high elevation Colorado resorts. The time this pattern seems to be most pronounced is January onward. We will watch and see how this develops.

Personally, in my experience I would say the forecasters don't have any clue what the real impact will be.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
117 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: El Nino Year 2006/07? Does Anyone Understand Impact?!

You're not fond of weather forecasters then.....

On that basis I think I'll go to the resort that looks the most fun and hope for the best!

Colorado
Level Contributor
534 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: El Nino Year 2006/07? Does Anyone Understand Impact?!

Its snowing like crazy up here right now, if that helps at all. Could be sunny in 20 minutes though, so it is really hard to predict what the rest of the season will look like. I'm thinking we're gonna have a lot of snow this year, but I have absolutely nothing to back it up :)

4. Re: El Nino Year 2006/07? Does Anyone Understand Impact?!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2009, 07:18