We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

boulder and vicinity in may

San Diego, Ca
Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
boulder and vicinity in may

coming to boulder for graduation in early May, would like to know best restraunts, places to visit.

Arvada, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Boulder
Level Contributor
935 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: boulder and vicinity in may

Boulder has a lot of great restaurants. I love The Med, Mateos, Pasta Jays, Jax to name a few.

I also enjoy brunch at Chautauqua Park.

I took my friend to have Tea at the St. Julien yesterday for her birthday and it was really enjoyable - something different.

You'll want to check out the Pearl Street Mall while in Boulder, Rocky Mountain National Park isn't too far away, so if you have the time put that on your list.

Boulder CO
Level Contributor
90 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: boulder and vicinity in may

How long will you be here, are you looking for outdoorsy stuff, and what kind of restaurants do you like? High end fancy restaurants or what daily locals eat? Ethnic?

Boulder has a lot to offer and many of us could go on forever. To help us help you, can you define your preferences?

MB

San Diego, Ca
Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: boulder and vicinity in may

thank you for all the suggestions, we will be there only for 1 weekend. We like local type food but would probably like to try a nice restraunt to celebrate graduation, and a nice place for brunch on mother's day. We have a free day on saturday, so any

sightseeing that is near by would be nice.

Westminster...
Level Contributor
240 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: boulder and vicinity in may

There's the Melting Pot which is nearby, slightly pricy but good for special celebrations. Plus, it's outside of Boulder so you might miss the crowds also celebrating. http://www.meltingpot.com (try zip code 80303)

There's also the Mongolian BBQ on Pearl St. which would be a good place to eat, but not really for special celebrations. They have an all-you-can-eat option too (and it's like $13ish)

I agree with Pasta Jays, it always gets good reviews, though it's hard to get into sometimes (45-60 minute wait).

There's a Benihana near the Flatirons Mall that would be good for special meals. Also Bloom at the mall is really upscale and really good (but slightly pricey too, you can see the prices on the menu on their website, you want the Broomfield one).

http://www.benihana.com/

www.foxrestaurantconcepts.com/bloom.html

RMNP would be a good day trip, but Trail Ridge Road will be closed at the top since it will be early May. You could go skiing for the day as well, but you'll be fighting the hellacious traffic going up Saturday morning. You could do a hike in Boulder at the flatirons as well. Get a really good view of the plains at the top of one. Could do that and then brunch at Chautauqua as mentioned above too. Pearl St. Mall is good to stroll along as well.

May is a gorgeous time to visit Colorado, all the flowers will be in bloom and everything green.

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
10,589 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: boulder and vicinity in may

I am pretty sure the Mongolian BBQ place has closed. Something else is in that location now. Maybe it moved but it's not on Pearl.

IMO there are MUCH better Italian retaurants than Pasta Jay's: try Laudisio, Alba or Mista's.

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
10,589 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: boulder and vicinity in may

The best place for a very nice brunch on Mother's Day would be the Greenbriar. It is wonderful! The restaurant is a short drive from Boulder on Hwy 36 (6 miles north). You'd have to make reservations in advance:

http://greenbriarinn.com/sundayBrunch

Another popular brunch is at the Broker Inn. However, it is not nearly as good as the Greenbriar.

Boulder CO
Level Contributor
90 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: boulder and vicinity in may

For Italian, I'd try Ratta on Broadway. I've heard nothing but wonderful things about it, although I admit I haven't been there yet. It's at Alpine and Broadway near Ideal Market.

I agree with the Greenbriar for brunch. Absolutely wonderful. Get reservations.

San Diego, Ca
Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: boulder and vicinity in may

thank you all so much, wow; great ideas

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
10,589 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: boulder and vicinity in may

I completely missed your additional post about sightseeing on Saturday.

I'd suggest a drive along Peak to Peak Scenic Byway. You can see beautiful views of the Continental Divide and perhaps take a hike at the Brainard Lake Recreation area (10,000 ft. elevation). There is an easy hike around Long Lake that is just beautiful. Take along a picnic lunch and make sure you have your camera.

Take Boulder Canyon west to Nederland, then head north on Hwy 72 (there are signs designating the Peak to Peak). You can do a short loop and head back to Boulder from Left Hand Canyon or go as far as Estes Park if you want depending on your timeframe.

Here are some links: www.byways.org/explore/byways/2114/

byways.org/explore/byways/2114/travel.html

fs.fed.us/r2/…index.shtml

Arvada, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Boulder
Level Contributor
935 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: boulder and vicinity in may

We've done the Greenbriar on Father's Day and it is wonderful. If you want to do that for Mother's Day, make a reservation early as it fill up fast.

Last year for Mother's Day we went to Antica Roma for brunch and it was fantastic. Afterwards we just walked along Pearl Street Mall, it was such an beautiful day. The people watching was great because all the families were out with their children.

In general, places open for Mother's Day brunch fill up FAST. So don't wait until you get here to reserve something.