We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boulder in the summer

Which Boulder hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York
1 post
Save Topic
Boulder in the summer

I'm thinking of moving to Boulder next summer for a few months. I'm 22 and really want a fun summer spent with some cool, laid back people. I was told Boulder might fit the description...

So I was wondering what the night life is like? Also, what are the people like, and are fun there things to do during the day?

Washington State
Level Contributor
474 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boulder in the summer

One of my favorite places in Boulder is the Dushanbe Tea House. Don't miss it!

Colorado
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Boulder in the summer

That is a great place. Have some food as well as tea! :)

Berthoud, Colorado
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Boulder in the summer

I have lived near boulder all my life. and my friends who live there live in horrible places because it is too expensive to live anywhere nice. If you don't have money coming out your ears, you will go broke before you make it through the summer. Also, I am a really laid back person and prefer fort collins because when I am in boulder, most of the people treat me like I am not smart enough or rich enough to be in their city. Watch out.

Arvada, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Boulder
Level Contributor
932 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boulder in the summer

I can't really comment on night life, but if you like hiking, biking, etc. there is tons to do during the day. Since I don't know your situation - I'm assuming if you are just wanting to come for a few months in the summer, then you are probably coming with money already? Boulder is expensive, but you are 22 - have fun while you can - make it work. Maybe you can find someone who needs a roommate for the summer. It's a college town and a lot of students leave then and those who stay behind might be glad to rent you space for a few months.

We live in s.w. Longmont and my husband works in Boulder. We do most of our eating out there and during the summer going over to Pearl Street Mall is great. Yes, Boulder is a quirky place, but that's what makes it Boulder. It is very laid back. You'd have a great summer, but just make sure you come prepared for the cost of living here - if you do, you'll have a great time. You'll probably not want to leave.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Boulder in the summer

You will love Boulder: our days are filled with sunshine, vistas, beautiful people, great stores, yummy food and mellow conversation. Night life abounds on the Pearl Street Mall--fun clubs and bars everywhere. Lots of partying and dancing at night. A perfect Boulder summer day for me would be to take a ride down the Boulder Creek path, have something for lunch at the Farmers Market, shop on the Mall, and head out later for a night on the town. Of course, I am a little older than you, but I was 22 here once, and haven't stopped having a good time.

Colorado
Level Contributor
443 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boulder in the summer

Boulder is nice and would be my first choice, but if you find the finacial part may be difficult, some lower priced alternatives would be:

Ft Collins

Downtown Denver area

Manitou Springs

Westminster...
Level Contributor
240 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Boulder in the summer

Boulder would be a good choice. I went to college there. You could get a sublet for the whole summer fairly cheap as there are tons of students that rent for a year but leave during the summer. I tried subletting my 2BR/1BA, 900sqft apartment that we were paying $900/month for (no joke) and a renter haggled me down to $200/month for the summer. I was happy to get that. Look in the student newspapers (Colorado Daily) or the boulder daily camera for sublets. They should start advertising around now. I'd recommend getting a place around Pearl St. -- at least walking distance -- since parking/driving is a hassle in Boulder. The bus system is good within Boulder and you can take the RTD down to downtown Denver and back for $5.50 round trip. (Last bus leaves Denver at 1:06am tho -- bars close at 2am).

I'd recommend tubing down Boulder creek. Awesome summer day activity. The tire tube will cost like $10.50, air is free, walking free. Watching you go over the first "waterfall" (like 1 foot drop) and burst your tube ending your tubing adventure: priceless. (Tubes do pop, but not that easilly).

The nightlife during the summer will be much smaller than during the school year, but that's also better since the bars won't be croweded and you won't have to wait 10 minutes to order a drink. Walrus and Catacombs were my favorite. Old Chicago has lots of beer, BJs has good pizza and beer, Pasta Jays is a good italian restaurant.

Mesa, AZ
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Boulder in the summer

I just read today on CNNMoney.com that Fort Collins ranks first on this year's list of Great American Towns to live.

Colorado
Level Contributor
443 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Boulder in the summer

And Colorado Springs was #1 "big" city (which must be pretty relative, becase Colorado Springs and "big city" sure aren't words I've used together often).

Anyways just goes to show we all must be doing at least 1 thing correct, living in (or visiting) a great place!!

10. Re: Boulder in the summer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2009, 11:18